Secondary School Career Advisor (2023-2024)
CAREER ADVISOR - WEST FARGO HIGH SCHOOL
POSITION: Career Advisor - West Fargo High School
TERM: 188-day contract beginning with the 2023-2024 school year
SUMMARY: A career advisor shall provide sequential career development activities, current career information, and related career exploration opportunities to students in grades seven through twelve. A career advisor shall use computer-assisted career guidance systems at West Fargo High School and Cheney Middle School.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Provide career information and guidance to students, educators, and parents.
- Partners with counselors to deliver career guidance lessons; facilitates classroom career exploration activities.
- Compiles resource lists for students, staff and parents.
- Administers and interprets interest assessments.
- Utilizes working knowledge of internet-based career information systems, such as RUReady.ND.gov.
- Maintains student career portfolios.
- Works with home school to develop a knowledge of students’ needs based on school-wide goals.
- Develops and maintains relationships with business leaders and community members, gathering feedback on workforce development and job placement services.
- Develops and maintains records of training, placements, and interview results; uses this data to continually modify and improve programs.
- Prepares students with employment-seeking skills; Coaches and prepares students for interviews; Schedules and tracks the results of interviews.
- Coordinates job shadows, career fairs, college visits, job interviews, and various other career opportunities.
- Develops and supports student work-based and workplace learning.
- Develops and maintains a list of available positions in the immediate and surrounding geographic area, and remote or otherwise reasonably accessible opportunities.
- Provide support to the Career and Technical Education (CTE) program.
- Assists in preparing students for CTE Scholarship eligibility; monitors students’ credits to encourage eligibility for the North Dakota Scholarship.
- Serves as a member of the Counseling Advisory Committee.
- Works with Career Development Counselor to develop a program of work and summary report for the Department of CTE.
- Completes meeting minutes and send to the Department of CTE Career Development.
- Works collaboratively with CTEC Career Development team to cultivate business partnerships for work-based learning.
- Assists in the use and monitoring RU Ready toward Choice Ready indicators.
- Completes and maintains Choice Ready reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field of study
- Valid ND Teaching License. Provisional certification may be granted when the candidate is enrolled in an approved CTE alternative teacher education program.
- Minimum 1 year of employment history, a combination of paid and unpaid experience accepted
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic understanding of vocational assessment and counseling techniques
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software needed to maintain records and prepare reports
- A Career Advisor must complete the Career Development Facilitator Training established by National Career Development Association prior to working with students
- Career development and job search preparation experience
- Familiarity with scholarship and work study processes
- High initiative, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to function independently
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Five-years of employment history, a combination of paid and unpaid experience accepted
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and education, the starting salary for this position would be following the 2023-2024 Teacher Salary Schedule. (Refer to 2022-2023 Teacher Salary Schedule until new schedule is available.)
DEADLINE: February 10, 2023 or until filled
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and three letters of recommendation, along with a completed online application.
The West Fargo Public School District is an equal opportunity employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, marital status or participation in lawful activities in all educational programs and employment practices. We are committed to maintaining a learning and working environment free from discrimination and harassment. External applicants are eligible for ND Veteran’s Preference: North Dakota veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a form DD214, and if claiming disabled veteran's status, a current letter of disability. West Fargo Public Schools is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in all hiring and employment practices. Applicants who incorporate a holistic perspective and a commitment to inclusion are encouraged to apply.