Public Health Analyst
RTI’s Center for Communication and Media Impact has an opening for a Public Health Analyst position.
The Center conducts media evaluation research and analysis to support public health focused media campaigns and communications programs. Our funding sources include a diverse set of contracts with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and various state and local health departments around the country. The overarching goal of the Center is to conduct objective, theory-driven research and evaluations to guide the development and implementation of multimedia communication campaigns aimed at improving public health. The position offers significant professional development opportunities at a leading research organization with nationally recognized experience in media campaign evaluation and related formative research. Analysts in the Center perform a wide range of tasks, including data management, statistical analysis, social media listening analysis, survey programming, data visualizations, data dashboards, and contributing to reports, presentations, and peer-reviewed publications.
This position can be remote telework or based in one of RTI’s regional offices; however, the RTP NC headquarters location is preferred.
Please include a cover letter with your resume.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of researchers to solve problems using statistical data analysis.
- Manage large, complicated datasets and compile databases by combining information from one or more sources using Excel, Stata, SPSS, SAS, R, or other tools.
- Write statistical programs and conduct analyses evaluating media campaigns using Stata, SPSS, SAS, R, or other similar programs.
- Communicate results through presentations, written reports, and data visualizations for clients, internal staff and project leaders, manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals, and other publications.
- Review the public health, communications, economics, and social science literatures to contextualize research findings and maintain awareness of current best practices and advances in media evaluation research methods.
- Work independently to efficiently manage multiple and overlapping timelines and deliverables.
- Manage tasks for multiple project directors simultaneously.
- Train junior staff and participate in internal staff development.
- Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of related work experience.
- Degree in Data Analytics, Data Science, Public Health, Health Policy and Management, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Psychology, Sociology, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Coursework completed in one or more of the following: Applied Data Analysis, Statistics, Econometrics, Empirical Economics, Health Policy Analysis, Marketing Analytics, Digital Marketing, Health Economics, Quantitative Psychology, or Sociology.
- Demonstrated interest in media campaign implementation and evaluation, Public Health Analysis, Policy Research, Program Evaluation, or related fields.
- Proficiency in statistical software such as Stata, SAS, SPSS, R, or similar programs is required; Proficiency in Stata is a plus. A code sample may be requested.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Demonstrated oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; a writing sample will be requested.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for visa employment status.
- Experience conducting media campaign or public health program evaluation analyses.
- Experience creating data visualizations and static or interactive data dashboards using interactive Excel workbooks, GIS software, R, Infogram or a similar platform.
- Experience working with complex survey datasets, especially population-based datasets such as the BRFSS, CPS, YRBS, NSDUH, and NHIS.
- Advanced statistical software programming experience in Stata or R
- Strong writing skills and ability to synthesize analysis results into clearly written reports, summaries, reports, or oral presentations to colleagues and clients.
- Coursework in Digital Media Analytics is a plus.
- Work or academic research experience in data analysis, public health, or epidemiology.