YLF Teacher/Counselor Paid Summer Internship (please apply via Google form)
Change a Student’s Life This Summer
Yleana Leadership Foundation
The Yleana Leadership Foundation, a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit, is seeking staff for its residential summer academy. Our summer program, the Yleana Leadership Academy (YLA), serves the Foundation’s mission of creating exceptional educational experiences for young people of all income levels and preparing our students for success as people and professionals, while decreasing the opportunity gap.
The Yleana Leadership Academy takes pride in serving rising high school seniors, the majority of whom are low-income first-generation students of color from historically marginalized urban areas, specifically Baltimore, Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia.
Since 2016, our average score improvement in a 3-week period topped out at 200 points on the SAT® exam. We want your help to make that number even higher. If you are interested in helping high school students transform the way they think about standardized tests and college, join us!
What you'll be doing:
- Lead classes of 6-10 students on Critical Reading, Writing, and Math according to set strategies
- Facilitate open, small-group discussions on topics such as race, class, and gender as part of our Social Justice Issues curriculum
- Engage students in breakout sessions during our Design Thinking/Entrepreneurship class - which culminates in a camp-wide Shark Tank competition
- Lead students in after-class programs, games, and activities
- Other responsibilities as needed
The Teacher/Counselor intern will serve as a teacher and a camp counselor. If you have the brain of a scholar and the heart of a camp counselor, this is the job for you.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program (required) or have a BA/BS
- Are able to achieve a minimum score of 670 verbal/670 math on internal hiring assessment (required)
- Have prior tutoring/teaching experience (highly preferred)
- Have prior camp experience (highly preferred)
- Are an outstanding teammate
- Quickly adapt to unforeseen problems
- Love serving as a mentor/role model to diverse high school students
- Exude empathy, patience, and compassion for our students
- Are detail oriented and results-driven
- Can relate to our students, who are from historically marginalized communities and often the first in their families to go to college
- Are highly motivated to help our students succeed in graduating high school and matriculating to college
Summer 2023 Information
In summer 2023, we are planning to host camp in person at Colgate University in Upstate New York and Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts.
- Staff training: June 10 - June 23
- Session 1: June 24 - July 15
- Session 2: July 17 - August 7
All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid, including boosters, in order to attend camp. Room and board for training and both sessions is included in the total compensation package for all staff. All staff are required to attend staff training and both sessions of camp.
Stipends for summer 2023 start at $550 per week. Room and board, including 3 meals per day, is included for all staff.
Stipends are determined and offered based on:
- Degrees and/or current year in school
- Prior camp, teaching, and tutoring experience
The priority application deadline is March 1, 2023. We hire on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better.
To learn more and apply, go here: https://yleana.org/summer-hiring
Diversity and equal opportunity are at the core of Yleana and our mission. We are committed to building a team that reflects the world. People who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.