Research Associate - Finance and Economics
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply online now to be considered!
Harvard Business School seeks full-time Research Associate to work with a faculty in our Finance unit for the remainder of academic year 2022-2023, with likely reappointment the following year. The RA will assist with the daily operations of research projects in the fields of economics and finance, including corporate finance and bank debt.
The RA will report directly to the faculty and administrative manager in the Research Staff Services office. Ideal candidates will be comfortable in an environment that requires a high level of independence, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to use discretionary judgment.
- Collect, clean, synthesize, and analyze data. Produce statistical models. Provide analysis of data exhibits for academic journal articles. Provide statistical analysis and design for reports and presentations.
- Develop and maintain expertise in new research methodologies and techniques. Manage and manipulate data using Stata.
- Balance project requests from multiple faculty members, using strong communication and prioritization skills. Must be able to structure assignments and keep faculty member informed as necessary, using own judgment.
- Independently manage all timelines and deliverables. Exercise independent decision making with regard to progression of research project and methodologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, mathematics, quantitative sciences, or business-related field required.
- Demonstrated statistical/programming experience and/or applied experience with Stata is required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Candidates with significant experience may be considered for a grade 56 position.
Evidence of outstanding academic achievement is expected. and independent research experience and/or applied experience are preferred.
Excellent communication, interpersonal, organization, research, analytical, writing, and editing skills are required. Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to flexibly adapt to changes in priorities; ability to work calmly under deadline pressure, take initiative; and follow projects through to completion
Candidates should not reach out to faculty directly.
This is a full-time term appointment starting as soon as possible or in summer 2023 through June 2024. All Research Associate roles at at HBS are structured as one-year term appointments, but faculty prefer candidates willing to commit for two years.
This role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where you are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus 2-4 days per week. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
The recruiting process is rolling. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, now through spring. Candidates with external deadlines should notify the recruiter as soon as possible.
A cover letter is required to be considered for this opportunity. All candidates will be expected to submit a writing sample and transcript. Candidates will submit sample coding to be reviewed by an HBS statistician.
Harvard Business School will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
Our salaries – combined with comprehensive benefits, generous paid time-off, access to education and professional development, and a vibrant campus with abundant cultural and recreational opportunities – create a competitive and compelling total rewards package.
While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. Please note that we will be conducting interviews virtually (phone and or Zoom) for selected candidates until further notice.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS is profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and life experiences. Explore HBS work culture at https://www.hbs.edu/employment/.