Aquatics Recreation Specialist
About the Position:
The City of Grand Junction is accepting applications for a Recreation Specialists within Aquatics. This position will assist in implementing recreational aquatics activities and operations for the department at the Orchard Mesa Pool and the Lincoln Park Pool.
About Parks and Recreation:
The Department is under the larger City of Grand Junction umbrella, which is a home-rule municipality. Our extensive system includes 45 parks, 25 playgrounds, 24 park shelters, 5 indoor recreation facilities including the Orchard Mesa Pool, Lincoln Park Hospitality Suite, the Bookcliff Activity Center, Lincoln Park Barn, and the Senior Recreation Center, and a multitude of outdoor facilities which include the Lincoln Park-Moyer Pool, 2 City Cemeteries, Amphitheater at Las Colonias and the Lincoln Park Stadium Sports Complex. Additional information about the Parks and Recreation Department can be found within our seasonal activity guide (gjpr.org/seasonal guide).
This recruitment is happening at a very exciting time, as the City of Grand Junction recently adopted a Parks, Recreation, and Open Space (PROS) Master Plan in January of 2021. This led to an election on April 6, 2021, where dedicated funding was secured on taxation from sales of cannabis. The PROS Plan is the blueprint for the future of the parks and recreation system, and a dedicated source of funding for implementation is now in place. The selected candidate will be centrally involved in helping us continue to maximize the quality and quantity of services for the citizens and visitors of Grand Junction, to build the community and improve the quality of life on the Western Slope.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for daily assigned staff during recreational programming; participate in the selection of assigned staff; work under the direction of the Recreation Coordinator to assist employees to correct deficiencies and implement discipline procedures.
- Assist in the organizing and supervising the day-to-day operations of assigned aquatic facilities, programs, and activities.
- Provide information and assistance to users of facilities; monitor, inspect and secure facilities.
- Responsible for onsite programming and activities including monitoring and implementing daily operations and activities.
- Monitor program compliance with applicable laws, rules and safety regulations related to the provision of assigned programs and related services.
- Coordinate specific activities; prepare program event and facility marketing material including, flyers, schedules of events, pamphlets, and brochures.
What We're Looking For:
- Two (2) years of experience in the supervision of recreational programs.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Ability to obtain a valid Ellis and Associates Lifeguard Instructor License.
- Ability to obtain a valid AFO or CPO certification.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado driver’s license.
Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be
City of Grand Junction Employee Childcare Facility:
We know finding a quality childcare provider can be challenging, that's why the City of Grand Junction is proud to offer its employees affordable childcare through the City of Grand Junction Childcare Facility (GJCCF). GJCCF offers childcare for children ages 6 weeks (infants) to 6 years of age (preschool). With flexible scheduling and highly trained Early Childhood Education professionals, know that your little one will be in good hands while you support your community.