Fall 2023 UCDC Academic Internship Program
The UCDC Academic Internship Program is an internship program based in Washington, D.C., sponsored by UCI’s Division of Undergraduate Education. Each year the program selects outstanding UCI undergraduate students for internships based in Washington, D.C. during the fall, winter, or spring quarter. It is an ideal vantage point for students to examine behind-the-scenes activities that shape and implement our nation’s future course. Participants remain full-time UCI students and take 1-2 classes taught by UCDC faculty. Financial Aid applies and scholarships are available for qualified students.
Our goal is to prepare each student both professionally and personally for the internship experience in Washington, D.C. Students admitted into UCDC work closely with advisors in developing a competitive portfolio. As part of the UCDC program, you will be trained to secure your own internship but you will not be placed in an internship.
- Junior or Senior standing by departure
- Must be a regularly enrolled, UCI undergraduate student while on the program*
- Recommended GPA: 3.0
To apply, please submit the following documents through the UCDC Common Application. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
- Essay Response – 1-2 page, double-spaced essay response with Name and Student ID at the top right (Note: you MUST have your name AND student ID on your essay response). In your essay, please respond to these questions: Why do you want to participate in UCDC? What kinds of internships interest you and how will this experience help you achieve your career and academic goals? Be specific and include names of some of the internship sites you are considering applying to.
- Revised resume. You must have your resume reviewed by a Division of Career Pathways staff member during drop in advising or a career counseling appointment (schedule through Handshake). Revise your resume according to the feedback you receive and then submit the revised resume with your application.
- One Letter of Recommendation. Letter can be from a faculty member, TA, employer, staff member, club advisor, etc. It should not be from a friend, family member, or peer. Upload your Letter of Recommendation to your UCDC Common Application, or if your recommender prefers that it remain confidential, ask them to e-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Ideally, the letter should be submitted by the application deadline, but if this is not possible, let us know and we may be able to give you more time to submit the letter.
*UCDC is available to all degree-seeking UCI students regardless of immigration status. International Students should consult with the International Center and their School's Academic Counseling Office prior to applying to UCDC to confirm eligibility. Undocumented students may wish to seek the counsel and advice of the UCI Dream Center.
Priority Deadline: April 11th, 2023