Habitat Restoration Crew Member - Pinnacles National Park
Term of positions is 22 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
$600 /week ($400 if housing is provided)
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $2,474 (pre-tax).
Ideal Start Date:
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 2/1/2023
Title of Position
Habitat Restoration Crew Member
Stewards Individual Placements (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. Stewards in partnership with the National Park Service are seeking an intern who will directly serve within the Division of Research and Resource Management at Pinnacles National Park.
Position Responsibilities will include:
This position will serve as part of a crew conducting invasive plant treatment and habitat restoration efforts(80%). Additional duties (< 20 %) may include projects on other resource-related projects such as:
● Seed collection
● Rare plant surveys
● Vegetation monitoring
● Aquatic resources
● Wildlife resources monitoring
● Physical resources monitoring
● Interpretation-related projects
● GPS mapping
● Data management with computer software applications (e.g., Access, Excel, Word, ArcGIS etc.)
● Create reports and recommendations from natural resources projects.
· A valid driver's license and able to pass a driving record background check.
· Willing to undergo and must pass the required three-part criminal history check for both NPS and Conservation Legacy.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to serve outdoors in arduous field conditions
- Must be able to hike up to ten miles per day carrying gear and equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must be willing to mix, load, and apply herbicides with the direct supervision of a licensed applicator for the purposes of vegetation control as a major part of work duties.
- Must be willing and able to observe all safety protocols.
- Possess a degree, experience, and/or demonstrated interest in biology, ecology, vegetation management, botany, environmental studies, natural resource management, park management, or a related discipline.
· Be 18 years or older
· Practical knowledge of a wide range of field restoration skills and invasive plant control techniques.
· Residents of San Benito, Monterey, and southern Santa Clara counties are highly encouraged to apply.
· Bilingual applicants are encouraged and welcome.
· Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $2,474 (pre-tax).
· Living Allowance: $600/week (pre-tax) if no housing is provided or $400/week if housing is provided.
· The park and park staff will provide opportunities in leadership development and career exploration within the field of land management.
· The park will provide training on park resource information, operating procedures, and safety protocols for Core duties including:
o GIS data collection and management
o plant identification
o invasive species management using herbicide and manual methods
- In addition to regular duties, interns will be given an opportunity to learn from park professionals working in areas such as condors, raptors, bats, invasive wildlife species, entomology, herpetology, cultural and historical resources, interpretation, and maintenance.
- Interns are often able to observe many species of animals up close and experience many areas of the park not generally visited by the public.
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one-page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
If you have questions about this position please contact James Gasaway, email@example.com, Stewards Program Coordinator.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.