Portland Harbor Coordinator
Environmental Program Coordinator 3 – Portland Harbor Coordinator
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Hydraulic Engineering Section
Portland or Salem
Bring your environmental analysis and management experience to our team! As a Portland harbor coordinator, you will provide project management and technical expertise. You’ll assist with site investigations, storm water monitoring, site cleanup and the installation of source control measures. You will work closely with the maintenance clean water program coordinator to negotiate permit conditions with regulatory agencies and ensure that they’re delivered in a timely manner. You’ll also have the opportunity to oversee consultant contract administration, consultant work products and review storm water testing plans and results. Apply today!
Depending on the final candidate’s preference, this position will be located in either Portland or Salem!
This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to last approximately 2 years from date of hire. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service. This position has the potential to become permanent.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Oversee the remedial and natural resource damages allocation process and act as the point of contact for Portland harbor topics with regulatory and statewide agencies.
- Facilitate activities regarding storm water source control with the Department of Environmental Quality.
- Negotiate permit conditions with regulatory agencies.
- Advise management on issues.
- Provide documentation and testimony for agencies.
- Provide technical expertise regarding Department of Environmental Quality and Environmental Protection Agency required storm water monitoring, risk evaluation, remedial actions and source control processes for the Portland harbor and other cleanup sites.
- Participate in meetings and task forces with management and staff, local agencies, the Department of Justice, state and federal agencies, the governor’s office and consultants.
- Oversee the preparation of budget and project cost estimates, review invoices, provide recommendations for payment and oversee expenditures and reports to the manager.
- Develop the scope of work for consultant contracts, oversee the work completed by consultants and check work quality, scope, schedule and budget.
- Review consultant proposals, participate in the selection process and provide consultation on technical content.
- Work with peers and the research team to develop research proposals that will further ODOTs storm water program and promote statewide permit requirements.
- Hybrid remote work options available! Work is performed in an office environment and may require occasional travel to the field, working near heavy traffic and overnight trips throughout the state.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, remote work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
What we need:
A bachelor's degree an environmental science, a physical science, a natural science, engineering, or a closely-related field AND three years of environmental analysis or resource project management experience, one year of which must have included research design and analysis
Note: Three additional years of environmental analysis or resource project management experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Exceptional collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Experience providing project management for Department of Environmental Quality and Environmental Protection Agency designated cleanup actions.
- Technical expertise in the Department of Environmental Quality and Environmental Protection Agency designed site characterization, storm water monitoring, risk evaluation, remedial action and source control process.
- Experience supporting the project delivery of transportation projects.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2022.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 503-400-5327 or email ODOTRecruitmentSH@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer