Intern, Global Trade Compliance Operations Excellence
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a 12-week internship role from June - August 2023. Resume review begins in January 2023.
The Global Trade Compliance team’s mission is to enable Biogen’s commitment to patients by mitigating risks, driving predictability and accelerating delivery of therapeutic solutions globally.
We do this by ensuring that all our items (finished drugs, drug substances, raw materials, quality and R&D samples etc.) move across multiple countries in compliance with international trade regulations and without delays.
Global Trade Compliance also plays a key role across Biogen’s end to end business solutions by collaborating with other functions (e.g. Finance, Tax, manufacturing, supply chain etc.) and external partners to conduct due diligence assessments, to enable product launches, changes in operating models and expansion into new markets,
Furthermore, the GTC team actively evaluates potential cost savings and continuous improvement opportunities such as Free Trade Agreements, tariff engineering and other duty optimization programs.
In this role, you will work closely with our US & Canada Trade Compliance Lead to further develop our compliance program. Key areas of scope include:
- You will gain exposure and basic knowledge of international trade requirements, including documentation, Harmonized Tariff Schedule classification, country of origin, valuation, Incoterm, import and export entry filing etc.
- You will gain exposure and basic knowledge of Biogen global supply chain.
- You will help build a global repository of trade compliance record.
- You will help collect regulatory data, build databases and ad-hoc report.
- You will work closely with other functional areas in Biogen (Quality, R&D, Manufacturing Science, Technology Transfer etc.) to map out international shipments processes of non-commercial products and to propose enhancements.
- You will help optimize our US Trade Compliance Post Entry capabilities by learning the current process and assessing enhancements.
Global Trade Compliance is a shared responsibility across all Biogen, and in this role, you will be able to create connections, learn and collaborate with many employees across Biogen’s various functions.
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Interested in fields of study related to Global Supply Chain and International Trade
- Able to organize and analyze complex data to develop different tables, lists, databases etc.
- Curious on investigating different regulations around the world.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, motivated to collaborate and reach out to other functions outside GTC.
- Additional languages are a plus
- Some experience in Customs brokerage or related is a plus
- Able to work independently, as well as with a team that is based globally
International Trade, International Relations, Economics, Finance, or related field