Deputy Director, China Program
Deadline to Apply: January 16, 2023
Complete the application here: https://stimson.applicantpro.com/jobs/2688762.html
The Henry L. Stimson Center, a nonpartisan policy research center, seeks a dynamic individual to serve as the Deputy Director for the China Program. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated professional and have a strong interest in China's foreign policy and external relations. The Deputy Director is responsible for managing the administration and supporting the strategic planning and development of the China program in pursuit of its mission in coordination with the program director. The Deputy will carry out research on Chinese foreign policy issues, organize program events, manage the budget and financial reporting, manage support staff, coordinate program calendars, assist with editing of publications and use of social media, and liaise with other departments at Stimson as well as with external audience.
The China Program produces policy analysis and research on China and its relations with the world in order to inform policy discussions and scholarly work. Throughout the past decades, we have established a distinct track record of excellence on analysis of China's foreign policy and its relations with the rest of the world. Our work includes a broad range of activities: research, publications, events, outreach, and dialogues.
The expected start date for the position is February 6, 2023. The selected candidate will be required to be based in the Washington, DC area. Salary is commensurate with experience and organization-wide compensation levels. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to complete one or more short research and/or writing assignments.
- Act as the program director's proxy on all administrative aspects of the program;
- Manage day-to-day office operation, including supervision of program staff;
- Manage program finances, including project-related budgets, expenses, and preparation for internal budget reviews;
- Support program director, including through logistics, scheduling, and program communication;
- Support recruitment and hiring of staff;
- Manage external communications, including maintenance of contacts databases, sending of event invitations, drafting of the program newsletter, and dissemination of program publications in all formats;
- Represent the program vis-à-vis other research programs and administrative support offices at Stimson;
- Support program director in management of all program projects, including obtaining and monitoring funding, research, preparation of publications, organizing events, and supervising promotional activities;
- Develop and implement mechanisms to evaluate project progress and ensure timely and high-quality work product;
- Monitor project implementation schedule, budget and prepare regular reports;
- Support program director in fundraising and preparation of grant applications and funding reports;
- Carry out research and analysis on China's foreign policy issues;
- Publish work and assist with editing of publications;
- Engage in public speaking, media engagements, and other forms of outreach.
- Master's degree or higher in a related field;
- 5+ years relevant work experience;
- Research background in Chinese foreign and/or domestic policy, including but not limited to issues related to nonproliferation, conflict mediation, domestic politics, energy, and economic statecraft, as well as China's policy toward Africa, Asia, the Arctic, and the Middle East;
- Strong attention to detail, professionalism, good judgment, time management and leadership skills are essential;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong program and budget management experience;
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with peers in a team environment; and
- Diplomatic skills and cultural sensitivity.
- Prior fundraising experience in identifying and cultivating funding sources and related tasks;
- Successful track record of managing, motivating, and developing staff; and
- Professional Mandarin Chinese proficiency.
Please submit the following in a single PDF in the order listed below:
- Cover letter including salary expectations;
- Resume; and
- Short writing sample.
Applicants selected for interviews may be required to complete one or more short research, editing, and/or writing assignments.
Stimson is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.