Racial Equity Communications Summer Associate
ABOUT THE GREENLINING INSTITUTE
The Greenlining Institute envisions a future where communities of color can build wealth, live in healthy places filled with economic opportunity, and are ready to meet the challenges posed by climate change. With equity practice and systems change guiding us, we incubate and advocate for new ideas and build with diverse communities and partners to ensure that race is never a barrier to opportunity.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS FOCUS AREA
The Communications Summer Associate advances an innovative equity agenda through creative storytelling and strategic messaging that centers the voices and priorities of communities of color.
The Communications Summer Associate will work with our team to develop and implement a new and creative multimedia public education or issue area campaign related to racial equity. The ideal candidate would have experience with social media trends, digital media, graphic design, and/or video production and has a passion for storytelling. Their primary aim is to connect with broader audiences and increase engagement with our work.
ABOUT SUMMER ASSOCIATE LEADERSHIP ACADEMY INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Greenlining Institute’s Leadership Academy Summer Associates join the organization for an inclusive 10-week, cohort model, hands-on public policy, and leadership development internship to advance Greenlining’s race equity mission to remove race as a barrier to economic opportunity. Our goal is to invest in race equity policy advocates with a deep commitment to dismantle oppressive systems. This is a paid internship position that provides a stipend of $1,200 every 2 weeks ($6,000 total for the 10 weeks). Our offices are based in Oakland, CA, and requires in person participation as well as the ability to travel to Sacramento and other locations.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Manage the newly created TikTok account for Greenlining and strategically build our followers list
- Support with the design, development, and implementation of a multimedia public education or issue area campaign to go live across our social media channels that culminates in Lobby Day in August 2023
- Write and produce compelling multimedia content that translates our policy work for a broader audience in a more digestible format with the support of key members of the policy teams that will drive engagement and followers on the platform
- Provide insight into a strategy for growth after the completion of the program
- Help maintain production timelines while serving as a liaison between authors, editors, and designers
- Thoughtfully identify opportunities to improve upon Greenlining’s current multimedia communications strategies by evaluating current systems, assessing areas for growth, and delivering concise recommendations to the Communications Director
- Identify current events and key media opportunities to influence trending local, state and national conversations on social media
- Work alongside Brand and Marketing team to design digital assets (images, photography, graphics, sound files, video uploads) for social media and online publications
- Assist in the creation of promotional materials for Greenlining’s events and issue-based campaigns i.e. Economic Summit, policy convenings, etc.
- Support with special communications/digital media projects and other tasks as assigned
- Participates in all leadership development workshops to learn and apply a holistic (mind, body, spirit) and equitable approach leadership
- Learns unique leadership style, values, vision and purpose through self-reflection exercises, goal-setting activities and 1:1 coaching
- Brings lived experience to cohort and organizational conversations to offer innovative ideas and diversity of perspective
- Provides support to cohort members and engages in team-building activities to form strong working partnerships
- Participates in all skills-based workshops to learn Greenlining’s approach to race equity public policy advocacy
- Learns Greenlining’s keystone public policy frameworks to shape their race equity lens.
- Engages with Leadership Academy alumni to expand professional network
- Develops presentation to share during Leadership Academy graduation
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- No degree or experience requirement to apply, BA in a related field preferred
- Able to participate in person for the 10-week program
- We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time
- Committed to championing causes that serve low-income individuals and communities of color
- Proven ability to work in a manner that respects differences in race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a passion for storytelling
- Ability to prioritize tasks, strong organizational skills, and an ability to work independently
- Familiarity with and curiosity about social media trends and strategies to engage followers
- Graphic design experience is a plus but not required
- Willingness to try on new techniques and approach unfamiliar experiences with curiosity and openness to the process; approaches challenges that push beyond their professional comfort zone with determination, heart, and deep commitment to their personal growth
- Team player who inspires collaboration, lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of humor
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively while demonstrating flexibility with others to set goals, resolve problems, pivot assignments, and make decisions that move forward the work
- Ability to create and maintain friendly and professional relationships with staff, other participants, and key stakeholders
- Willing to develop and cultivate a growth mindset in your personal and professional journey
- Strong writing and computer literacy of PC-based Google Drive and MS Office Programs
Compensation: Participants receive a stipend of $1,200 every two weeks.
How to Apply: Applications are due Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Application submissions must be completed through the ADP career portal (include resume and personal statements responding to all Pre-Screening questions). Only ONE application will be accepted for the 2023 program cycle. Choose the policy area that appeals to you the most. Applications will be reviewed by a committee of policy and academy staff. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview, with decisions announced in April.
Greenlining is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace. We encourage womxn, immigrants, people of color, LGBTQIA+, and differently-abled applicants to apply.