Intern (Civil Engineering)
GAI Consultants, Inc is seeking a civil engineering student intern to join our Civil and Environmental Business Sector. Required skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, organization, team focus, and eagerness to apply learned engineering principles to solve real-life problems. This is a temporary full-time position at 40 hours a week and a 3-month duration. Additional schedules will be considered. The successful candidate must be eligible to work out of one of the GAI offices listed. The successful candidate will enjoy working in a challenging, fast-paced, and team-oriented environment that will utilize their related experience to develop professionally and grow in today's global environment.
- Assist engineers and project managers with day-to-day project tasks as required for successful project delivery.
- Use computer programs to develop detailed designs
- Undertake technical and feasibility studies
- Ensure that work products meet client, environmental, and safety requirements.
- Perform work under professional engineering staff.
- Handle basic design challenges but will refer more complex issues to higher-level staff.
- Possess beginning knowledge of AutoCAD Civil 3D and civil engineering design tasks.
- Strong team collaboration, oral and written communication, and problem-solving skills are required.
- This position requires local/regional travel and should be expected to be 20-40% (1-2 days per week as needed for project-related work/occasional overnight travel)
As a GAI Student Engineering Intern, this position is responsible for assisting a team of engineers and project managers with Civil and Environmental designs and permitting. This individual should be technically focused and a strong leader with developed technical, communication, and computer skills.
- This is an entry-level position with no experience required.
- The successful candidate should be enrolled in a Civil/Environmental engineering program at a Junior or Senior level.
Education and Training:
- Enrolled in a program to receive a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, preferably civil or environmental engineering, is required.
- Must have good skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with drafting programs, particularly AutoCAD Civil 3D is preferred.
- Willingness to learn new programs and skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical reports and procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and other business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff members.
- Required mathematical skills are commensurate with the technical or engineering discipline practiced (e.g., engineering calculations, design, etc.)
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of basic computer systems and software packages. Must be willing to learn software that is specific to Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D and stormwater modeling software is preferred.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
At GAI, exceptional people have an exceptional place to work, grow, lead, and achieve. Explore an array of opportunities in locations across the U.S., and join accomplished colleagues in tackling challenging projects for a range of markets. Enjoy comprehensive benefits and feel good about being part of a collaborative team that’s committed to supporting the communities we serve. Join GAI and distinguish yourself in a company poised for unlimited growth.
GAI Consultants, Inc. is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion by fostering a workforce that represents different communities, cultures, and viewpoints. We will continue to build mutual trust and respect where employees are empowered to share their diverse perspectives, experiences, and ideas.