Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2
Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2
Location Newington, CT
Date Opened 12/6/2022 12:00:00 AM
Salary $79,529 - $108,441/year
Job Type Open to the Public
Close Date12/20/2022 11:59:00 PM
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (OEOD) has an opening for one (1) Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2 position. This is a full time, 40 hour per week, hybrid opportunity on first shift. There may be occasions when investigation work may require meeting employees on 2nd or 3rd shift.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2 will be part of a team focused on making positive organizational changes to have a workforce that is more diverse, equitable, and inclusive of all employees and culture groups.
As part of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, you will:
- work to ensure compliance with all relevant equal opportunity laws, regulations, and policies.
- have an active role in promoting a culture of acceptance, and through collaboration with agency leadership,
- assist in diversifying the workplace and addressing recruitment and retention challenges.
This position is assigned to the more complex investigations of discrimination or protected class harassment.
The successful candidate should have attention to detail, be reliable, maintain confidentiality and be able to work both independently and collaboratively with employees at all levels. Effective counseling, mediation or conflict resolution skills are important, as is the ability to apply analytical thinking.
Additional duties are analyzing statistical data, reviewing applicant hiring justifications, and assisting with preparing the state affirmative action plan. May monitor interviews as needed. Will conduct in-person sexual harassment prevention training, Diversity Training and other EEO related training programs. May be assigned to review affirmative action plans for funded subrecipient transit agencies. The successful candidate will be able to plan and organize work, adjust to changing and competing priorities, and achieve objectives within strict deadlines.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
The State of Connecticut offers a competitive starting salary, excellent state benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance.
View the video below to learn what it's like to be a state employee.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- Please visit our "Applicant Tips on How to Apply" page.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for managing affirmative action plans and activities in an Equal Employment Opportunity program.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Manages affirmative action plans and activities in the Equal Employment Opportunity unit;
- Evaluates, updates and disseminates agency equal employment opportunity policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, statutes, regulations and Executive Orders;
- Develops and implements affirmative action plans;
- Conducts or oversees investigations and resolution of discrimination and unfair treatment claims;
- Coordinates findings with Office of the Attorney General when appropriate;
- Prepares materials and conducts training to heighten knowledge of equal employment opportunity laws and affirmative action goals;
- Develops and performs outreach initiatives including recruitment efforts through community and minority organizations;
- Conducts analysis of data and presents at briefing sessions with staff;
- Counsels staff on equal employment opportunity matters;
- Conducts career counseling;
- Participates in the recruitment and hiring of staff, including outreach, interview and selection;
- May participate in employment interviews;
- May assist with or oversee the State of Connecticut Minority and Small Contractor's Set Aside Program and contract compliance;
- May administer affirmative action for patient, student, inmate and/or client rights programs;
- May serve as agency's ADA coordinator;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- relevant state and federal laws, statutes, and regulations;
- affirmative action plans and programs;
- interviewing and counseling techniques;
- Knowledge of
- merit system selection process including recruitment, examination and classification;
- needs and issues of patients, inmates, students and/or clients;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Considerable investigatory ability;
- Ability to
- develop and implement affirmative action plans;
- compile, analyze and evaluate human resources records and statistical information;
- utilize human resources information systems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of professional experience in affirmative action, equal opportunity assurance or human resources management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have involved primary responsibility for affirmative action or equal opportunity assurance in the employment setting.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in public administration, human resources management, labor relations or a closely related field or a law degree may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- For state employees one (1) year of experience as an Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 1 may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience preparing Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plans
- Experience with State and Federal Civil Rights laws
- Experience conducting workplace investigations
- Conflict resolution or mediation experience
- Experience facilitating training
- Experience working in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience analyzing data and running ad-hoc query reports
- In accordance with Connecticut General Statute, incumbents in this class must complete five (5) hours of training during the first year of service or designation and a minimum of three (3) hours biannually thereafter. This training shall include (1) state and federal discrimination laws and (2) internal discrimination investigation techniques which will be provided by the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and the Permanent Commission on the Status of Women.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.