English/Social Studies Teacher - High School
Teacher - English and Social Studies
Central High School
Starting January 2023
Salary: Per the PEA Contract
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Instruct students in grades 9 - 12 in English and Social Studies and provide an environment favorable to learning and personal growth in accordance with each student’s ability.
- Use multiple teaching strategies to meet the learning needs of different students.
- Work with colleagues to continue to implement, assess, and meet our school-improvement goals.
- Experience and willingness to lead extra-curricular or athletic activities.
- Work cooperatively with other colleagues, such as special education teacher and counselors, to serve as a part of a team to support at-risk students.
- Work with colleagues effectively and cooperatively in the Social Studies Department to continue to build curriculum development and to support the International Baccalaureate program, as well as to build student support and interest.
- Participates in faculty and/or District committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
- Must have knowledge of and comply with the policies and procedures contained in the Portage Public Schools Employee Handbook.
The above duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the nature of the work by this position, the listing is not all-inclusive.
- Valid Michigan Secondary Teaching Certificate with endorsements for English and Social Studies (BA & CX/RX).
- Demonstrated ability to teach advanced English and Social Studies within the Common Core.
- NCA / AdvancEd accreditation standards met to teach English and Social Studies.
- Federal standards met to be highly qualified in these subjects.
- Experience in successfully working cooperatively with colleagues.
- Training and skills to work with a diverse group of high school students.
- Effective organizational and communication skills.
- Graduate degree in the area of English and Social Studies.
Please apply online at: https://portageps.org/departments/hr/jobs/
Notice of Non-Discrimination: he Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, (collectively, "Protected Classes"), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities. The following positions at Portage Public Schools have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policy: Human Resources Director Brad Galin and Human Resources Manager Jennifer Tuyls. Contact information: 269-323-5000, 8107 Mustang Drive, Portage, Mi 49002