Human Resources Intern, Spring 2023
Human Resources Intern, Spring 2023
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR), which shared in the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997, is a U.S.-based international advocacy organization working at the intersection of medicine, science, and law. With a global network of thousands of medical, scientific, and legal experts, PHR uses the power of medical and scientific evidence to document human rights and humanitarian law violations and prevent abuses, protect survivors, and promote justice and universal human rights for all.
Building upon its highly respected place in the field, and supported by a committed and talented team, PHR seeks a Human Resources Intern.
Reports to: Deputy Director of Human Resources
Physicians for Human Rights was founded in 1986 by five physicians who were united in the belief that health professionals, with their specialized skills, ethical duties, and credible voices, are uniquely positioned to prevent harm and promote respect for human rights. Since its founding, PHR has built a long and distinguished record of accomplishment by conducting groundbreaking investigations and advocacy, in concert with strategic partners.
PHR’s approach includes extensive documentation of the use of illegal and inhumane weapons in armed conflicts, attacks on civilians, and the physical and psychological impacts of torture and sexual violence as a weapon of war. Other core activities include protecting the rights of those seeking asylum in the United States, the human rights implications of the COVID-19 pandemic, and halting attacks on medical facilities and frontline health professionals.
The human resources and operations internship is ideal for a student interested in a career in global human resources or nonprofit management and operations. This intern will gain direct experience in developing and implementing key policies and administrative strategies for a growing, international nonprofit organization.
The human resources and operations intern will collaborate with staff from various departments to gain a fuller understanding of the behind-the-scenes running of a nonprofit organization. The intern will also have the opportunity to attend regular learning and social events with other interns and staff from PHR to round out the learning experience and complement PHR-provided career mentoring.
PHR offers stipends to student interns. The specific stipend amount will be determined by the average number of hours worked by the intern per week. Details will be further provided during the interview process.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist with PHR’s employee recruitment, onboarding, and selection processes.
· Research current labor and employment laws in the United States and overseas.
· Maintain, audit, and update human resources files and records.
· Research human resources best practices.
· Contribute to projects for and requests from PHR staff.
· Collaborate with staff on technology initiatives.
· Communicate with vendors, contractors, and consultants.
· Provide support for office management general operations, including office reopening.
Qualifications and Experience
· Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program of study; specialization in human resources, business administration, or a related field preferred
· General knowledge of and interest in human resources concepts and terminology
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
· Resourceful in performing research on the internet and through other channels
· Well organized, detail-oriented, and able to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
Location and Hours
· The internship will be entirely remote due to PHR’s ongoing evaluation of coronavirus health risks.
· PHR welcomes applications from candidates located out of state.
· Hours can be flexible to accommodate different types of schedules.
· The internship will commence in February with at least a 12-week commitment.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Human Resources Intern, Spring 2023” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.