Structures Design (Vehicle Engineering)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURES DESIGNER (VEHICLE ENGINEERING)
- Design metallic structures and propulsion fluid systems under accelerated timelines
- Review specifications and other engineering data to develop mechanical systems
- Update designs and drawings through engineering change orders to support SpaceX's rapid pace of design iteration
- Create detailed component and assembly drawings incorporating an understanding of GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of mechanical design and drafting experience (internships and personal projects qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Unigraphics, Solidworks)
- Hands-on experience working in school club or project teams designing hardware in a highly constrained system under defined timelines
- Familiarity with welded structures and fluid systems
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings
- Ability to work and communicate well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and leadership
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together to achieve buy-in for a unified design direction
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Willing to travel to various SpaceX sites (up to 25%)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the international Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.