NY Green Bank: Summer Associate, Investment & Portfolio Management
NY Green Bank (“NYGB”) is a globally recognized $1.0 billion sustainable investment management fund with the mission to accelerate clean energy deployment in New York State (“NYS” or the “State”) by collaborating with the private sector to transform financing markets. NYGB works to increase the size, volume and breadth of sustainable infrastructure investment activity throughout the State, expand the base of investors focused on NYS clean energy, and increase market participants’ access to capital on commercial terms. To achieve these objectives, NYGB develops transaction structures and methodologies that overcome typical clean energy investment barriers, such as challenges evaluating risk and addressing the needs of distributed energy and efficiency projects where underwriting may be geared more towards larger and/or groups of somewhat homogeneous investment opportunities. With more than $1.7 billion invested as of September 30, 2022, NYGB has demonstrated that many of the financial market barriers to sustainable infrastructure projects in NYS are surmountable. NYGB is a division of the New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (“NYSERDA”).
NYGB seeks experienced and motivated individuals with excellent organizational, critical thinking, and quantitative skills to join its investment team. As part of this 10-week paid internship program, NYGB interns will be responsible for supporting the full cycle of NYGB’s investment process, including: conducting industry research to identify investment opportunities, financial modeling and valuation analysis, conducting due diligence, and structuring and executing transactions. NYGB interns will have the opportunity to work closely with industry specialists, be a part of a small and growing team, and gain exposure to a variety of transactions and energy technologies.
This is a paid internship for current, full-time students. The pay rate is from $15 to $17 per hour based on current class year. This internship will begin on June 1, 2023 and continue for approximately 10 weeks.
Interns must be located in New York State while working. It is expected that interns will follow our telework policy, with a combination of in-office and remote work. Interns work up to 37.5 hours per week during the Summer.
The Summer Associate’s primary responsibilities will be to:
• Participate in evaluation of requests for NYGB financing
• Perform financial analyses (e.g. build financial models, conduct credit analysis, develop valuation and sensitivity analyses) to inform investment structuring decisions
• Prepare reports and presentations that assist in the investment decision making process or the monitoring of executed transactions (e.g. credit and investment memoranda)
• Communicate regularly with internal management and external stakeholder groups
• Work on high-performance teams to drive projects forward and deliver on schedule
• Perform other responsibilities as needed
Required skills and qualifications:
• Current full-time graduate student working toward a master’s degree in business, finance, economics, or a related area
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated interest in financial markets and clean energy or sustainable infrastructure
• Proficiency in MS Excel, in particular in developing financial models, and other MS Office products
• Ability to conduct financial and industry due diligence to evaluate the risk/return parameters of a
project; ability to identify and conduct sensitivity analyses is a plus
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex concepts
• Excellent work ethic and aptitude to perform under tight deadlines to contribute to NYGB’s success
• Capable of working under limited supervision and taking on new and unfamiliar tasks