Government Affairs Intern
Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the team
The Roku Government Affairs team works with internal and external to advance our company’s public policy priorities worldwide. The policy issues we focus on include data privacy, digital copyright, and digital competition. The team is small and tight-knit, with members in Washington DC, and Brussels.
About the role
The Government Affairs Intern works closely with the Government Affairs team to help build awareness of Roku and the streaming TV business among key policymaker audiences in Washington, DC. Activities will include drafting summaries and position papers on a variety of tech policy issues, developing plans for policy and press outreach, and tracking legislation as well as media coverage. The role is virtual.
What you’ll be doing
- Support the Government Affairs team with a variety of public affairs and public relations projects
- Develop collateral materials, including hearing and legislative summaries, fact sheets, blog posts, briefing documents, and media coverage recaps
- Support internal and external policy stakeholders
- Manage policy calendar
- Participate in Government Affairs planning and strategy discussions
- Stay on top of tech policy news as it relates to Roku’s core businesses
- Communicate knowledgeably about the Roku streaming platform and Roku products – including a firm grasp of Roku’s position on key policy issues
We’re excited if you have/are
- Degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled at a college or university
- Preferred Majors: Political Science, Communications, related fields
- A strong writer who can produce materials without significant editing
- Strong interest in the news and media industries
- A love of politics, streaming, and all-things TV
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, adaptable and flexible
- Positive and collaborative personality; a commitment to ensuring all activities undertaken are as successful as possible
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment
- Excellent organizational and analytical communication skills
- Previous internship experience a plus
- Technical skills required for multiple aspects of the role
- Ideal candidates will possess strong Microsoft Ofﬁce, PC, and Mac skills
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku, you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.