Communications Outreach Specialist
Position Summary: The AmeriCorps Communications Outreach Specialist position is based at the Osprey Wilds Environmental Learning Center in Sandstone, Minn. The purpose of the Communications Outreach Specialist is to assist the Osprey Wilds outreach initiatives and sustainable farming. The marketing component will include creating of print and digital marketing and advertising, as well as managing email campaigns. The sustainable farming component will including planting, harvesting and building educational and marketing content.
Members are directly supervised by Conservation Corps Assistant Program Manager and Site Advisor.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Content creation and management for multiple channels: social media, newsletter, web, etc.
· Social Media – Create and manage content for social media channels including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter. Develop engaging campaigns across channels and manage content calendar. Grow audiences, analyze engagement, and place and manage digital ads
· Digital advertisement - Oversee digital media campaigns across paid media channels. Identify target audiences and design engaging digital ads
· Print advertisement - Design printed materials including flyers, newsletters, postcards and other materials
· Graphic Design - Use Adobe Creative Suite applications to produce print and digital design materials
· Branding - Ensure brand guidelines are followed throughout all external documents, digital and print materials
· Email marketing - Use Mailchimp to oversee mass email marketing campaigns
· Field work - Assist with the soil preparation, planting of seedlings and cultivating the beds
· Harvest produce - Picking, washing and packaging produce
· Marketing campaign - Create new educational and marketing content specifically focusing on the sustainable farm
· Develop and implement an annual work plan that provides timelines and balance to the priorities of the various projects listed above. Utilize a work plan tracking document provided by the Corps and DNR to track work accomplishments and reprioritize on a regular basis.
· Attend scheduled meetings, orientations and workshops; including required Conservation Corps AmeriCorps training sessions and site visits.
· Submit timesheets and SAW (NOTE: Lunch time does not count toward total service hours), expense reports, receipts and monthly credit card log to Conservation Corps AmeriCorps Program Coordinator.
· 4-year college degree and/or equivalent professional experience in a communications, marketing or related field.
· Competency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Acrobat), as well as an understanding of GovDelivery for email marketing.
· Strong interest and/or experience in one or more of the following: digital and promotional communications, design, photography and video. Video production skills will be beneficial.
· High comfort level/experience with technology and administering social media channels in particular.
· Strong written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
· Strong organizational, research, and analytical skills. Must have the ability to prioritize big picture ideas into tangible actions and stories.
· Self-directed with a high comfort level for taking initiative and project ownership.
· Experience gathering information, implementing ideas, and presenting recommendations in both written and verbal formats.
· Positive attitude, interest in community service and desire to make a difference.
· Interest in natural resources, environmental studies, or conservation related field.
· Must be a US Citizen, US National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US
· Must pass a criminal history check consisting of a National Sex Offender Public Website check, a state criminal history check, and a fingerprint-based FBI check. Passing the criminal history check is defined as no positive hits on the NSOPW and no history of violent offenses on the state or FBI checks.
· Member will certify that they have or will obtain the diploma/GED to be in accordance with program requirements
Note: Previous experience or education with natural resource management is not required; no more than 20% of the service term is dedicated to technical and personal-skill training.