2023 Intern – Wireless Communications Engineer – Wireless Cyber Capabilities
Do you want to become an expert in wireless communications?
Do you want to learn more about the latest wireless technologies and working with a team to solve some of our government’s most critical communication challenges?
If you are pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering and want work in wireless communications, we'd love to have you join our team!
We are seeking an intern to join our Wireless Cyber Capabilities Group that is working to give our nation a significant advantage by controlling the wireless communications environment.
As a member of our team, you will...
- Be part of a team that leverages wireless communications expertise, software defined radios, and machine learning (RFML) to own the communications environment.
- Collaborate with a diverse team of wireless communications engineers and software developers to implement wireless communication technology solutions.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are pursuing Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related technical degree
- Are interested in signals & systems or wireless communication concepts
- Have a passion for programming
- Are able to obtain Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Are skilled in and/or have knowledge of software design patterns in a language such as Python, C++, C, VHDL/Verilog, or MATLAB
- Are skilled in and/or have knowledge of signals & systems or wireless communication concepts
- Are skilled in and/or have knowledge of digital signal processing (DSP) such as Fourier analysis and filtering
- Are skilled in and/or have knowledge of software defined radio (SDR) frameworks such as GNU Radio
- Are skilled in and/or have knowledge of machine learning (ML) including frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
PL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.