Postdoctoral Research Associate - Quantum Sensing of 2D Magnetic Materials
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Quantum Heterostructures Group in the Materials Sciences and Technology Division (MSTD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). In this role, you will conduct research characterizing emerging single photon emitters and optically addressable spin defects and you will use these color centers as quantum sensors to probe phase transitions in 2D magnetic materials and candidate quantum spin liquids. You will utilize user facilities at the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) to fabricate lithographically patterned 2D devices. You will have access to variable temperature closed-cycle optical microscopes and a mK magneto-optical microscope integrated in a dilution refrigerator. The group has excellent synthesis and characterization tools for thin films, routinely uses neutron and X-ray facilities and has great collaborations in- and out-side of ORNL. The candidate will work in close collaboration with Dr Ben Lawrie and other members of the Quantum Heterostructures Group.
The expected duties and responsibilities include some but not necessarily all the following:
- Participate in research probing and manipulating the optical properties of emerging color centers in 2D materials.
- Fabricate 2D devices integrating quantum photonic materials with 2D magnets.
- Probe spin fluctuations and quantum phase transitions using ensemble optically accessible spin defects.
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely fashion.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivity.
- A PhD in physics, materials science, or a closely related science discipline awarded within the past 5 years
- Previous research experience in experimental quantum information or quantum materials science.
- Experience with quantum photonic devices
- Extensive experience with experimental quantum sensing and quantum photonics
- Extensive experience with 2D device fabrication
- A strong record of productive and creative research proven by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at major conferences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to an international scientific audience
- Ability to work with a measure of autonomy, but also in a team environment to interact effectively with your colleagues, develop new collaborations to improve scientific understanding, and accept flexibility in research assignments
- Familiarity with numerical data analysis and customization of control software (Labview/Matlab/Python)
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position.
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.