2023 PhD Research Software Engineer Internship
We're looking for PhD candidates in the machine learning and optimization domain to intern during summer 2023 (12 weeks). You will be embedded in an engineering team and work closely with other specialists, data scientists, and product managers. As a PhD intern, you will work on an exciting yet bold problem in depth independently, under the supervision of an experienced engineer on that team.
About the Role
At Uber, we work on a number of ambitious engineering products covering many lines of business as well as the underlying platform technologies that power those businesses. We foster growth and increase profitability of Uber by pushing the frontiers of machine learning, constrained optimization, statistics, data science and economics and developing highly reliable and scalable platforms to accelerate Uber's impact on the transportation industry.
The team is rapidly growing with high impact and visibility across the whole company and has various ambitious problems in different engineering teams: Marketplace, Riders, Eaters, Earners, Partners, Maps, Payments and Risk, Safety, Data, Infrastructure, Uber AI, etc. We are responsible for developing state of the art technology that directly drives efficiencies and effectiveness across the Uber platform, by crafting a healthy and balanced ecosystem at a scale few companies can match.
As a PhD software engineering intern, you will have many opportunities to work with product managers, data scientists and, of course, engineers from different teams. You will also have the opportunity to learn how to iterate over a product for greater success while demonstrating your area of expertise (machine learning, statistics, constrained optimization, distributed system, etc.). This is a unique opportunity to grow your skills with real-world experience and do highly impactful, yet fun work at the same time. It is an ambitious yet rewarding job!
What You'll Do
- Drive exciting, ambitious, previously unsolved projects from end to end.
- Thrive in ambiguous product requirements.
- Collaborate with product managers and data scientists closely.
- Make data driven decisions, with exceptional execution.
- Be motivated to own projects and push them forward with independence.
- Most importantly, have a passion to make Uber better for our customers.
- Currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program studying machine learning, data mining, artificial intelligence, constrained optimization, statistics, or a related quantitative field.
- Knowledge of underlying technical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, and systems etc.
- Experience in one or more object-oriented languages, including C++, Java, Python, or Go.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and business partners.
- Experience in simplifying/converting business problems into technical problems.
- Research mentality with a bias towards action to structure a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to implementation.
- Experience presenting at industry recognized academic conferences and a good publishing record.
For New York City-based roles: The hourly rate amount for this role is $47-67 per hour. You will receive a monthly housing stipend of $1,500. You will also be eligible for various benefits.
For Colorado-based roles: The hourly rate amount for this role is $47-67 per hour. You will receive a monthly housing stipend of $1,500. You will also be eligible for various benefits.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, Uber recommends all US- and Canada-based employees to be vaccinated in order to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.