Assistant Engineer & Engineering Technician
The Engineering Services Department is looking to fill one (1) Assistant Engineer in our Land Development and Public Works Inspection Section and two (2) Engineering Technician vacancies, one in our Transportation Section and one in Land Development.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Assisting with the management of contracts for engineering consultants
- Collection, verification, and processing of data
- Review of engineering studies, engineering plans and specifications
- Evaluating, and making recommendations on requests from the public
- Preparation and writing of staff reports
- Providing high quality customer service through regular interaction with residents, contractors, consultants, and other members of the public
As part of the Engineering Services team, you’ll have the opportunity to be a part of rewarding projects that make a visible impact in our community. Some of the exciting projects currently underway at the City of Rancho Cucamonga include:
Large Scale Private Development Projects including the Resort Development, Etiwanda Heights, and Multiple Large-Scale Industrial Projects in the Southeast Quadrant of the City.
6th Street Cycle Track – Through a partnership grant with SBCTA and other Cities in the County, Rancho Cucamonga secured funding to complete bike infrastructure improvements, including the first segment of a buffered bike lane, along 6th Street between Haven Avenue and Rochester Avenue.
General Plan Implementation – Ensuring the needs of the community and its residents are met on a daily basis.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Providing high quality customer service through regular interactions with members of the public.
- Being able to communicate complex information in an easy to understand manner is a must.
- Issuing permits on a daily basis for right-of-way, grading, and various other work that is reviewed by the Engineering Department.
- Coordinating utility work and inspections on an on-going basis.
- Minor review of plans related to utility work.
- Working with Community Development staff from multiple Departments to facilitate the development process.
- Collecting, verifying, and processing data including the preparation of engineering studies or reports.
- Reviewing, evaluating, and making recommendations on request from the public.
- Plan review for Lane Closure Permits.
- Preparation of basic plans for signage and striping.
Either of these positions might be perfect for you if:
- You are excited to be a part of a World Class, All America City.
- You share in our guiding principles of Knowing Why! Being the Best! and Leaving an Inheritance!
- You are a methodical and detailed, but forward-thinking individual that wants to make a distinct contribution to the community you serve.
- You are looking to increase your knowledge and experience in the field of traffic, transportation, and land development concepts.
- You have a good understanding of civil engineering principles and practices for successful performance.
- You enjoy problem solving on a daily basis and can work through difficult projects and tasks.
- You enjoy coordinating across department lines to help facilitate daily tasks and project completion.
- You are hungry, humble, and smart.
Assistant Engineer: $5,609.00 - $7,568.00 Monthly
Engineering Technician: $4,438.00 - $5,987.00 Monthly
For more information on these positions, please visit our job bulletin at www.cityofrc.us/rcjobs. All applicants are required to apply online at www.cityofrc.us. These positions are open until filled or until a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Assistant Engineer: Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field and two years of progressively responsible professional experience in Civil Engineering or any combination of training and experience that provides the desired knowledge and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to public works; related federal and state laws, ordinances and regulations; methods and techniques utilized in the preparation of public works projects, designs, and related plans, specifications and cost estimates; principles and methods utilized in surveying and material testing. Ability to perform professional engineering work, including project design; conduct inspections and evaluate construction relative to approved plans and specifications; coordinate the work of others involved in related activities; prepare and maintain records and prepare reports; interpret and apply related laws, ordinances and regulations; use a personal computer and software related to specific assignments; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Engineering Technician: Graduation from high school, including or supplemented by completion of college level courses in engineering and mathematics, and drafting and two years of increasingly responsible experience in sub-professional engineering work or any combination of training and experience that provides the desired knowledge and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of basic mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry; methods and materials used in the construction of public works facilities; policies and regulations governing the construction and maintenance of public works systems and facilities; methods and techniques of engineering, drafting, and estimating; provisions of the State Subdivision Map Act; basic civil engineering principles and practices. Ability to perform technical research on engineering matters; communicate effectively orally and in writing; perform complex engineering calculations; prepare plans and estimates of routine public works and utility projects; use and care for engineering and drafting instruments and equipment.
Special Requirements For Both Positions:
Possession of or ability to obtain an appropriate California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.