Network Tool Design Intern 2200000M5Y
Position: Network Tool Design Intern
Duration: 10 weeks
Date: Jun to Aug 2023
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
Strategy & Technology
Strategy and Technology lays the path for Nokia’s future technology innovation and identifies the most promising areas for Nokia to create new value. We set the company’s strategy and technology vision, offer an unparalleled research foundation for innovation, and provide critical support infrastructure for Nokia.
Currently a candidate for Master’s/PhD degree in communications technologies and networks or related field with an accredited school in US.
What you will learn and contribute to
Network Tool Design/Optimization focused on IP/Optical Transport Networking and Network Energy Consumption in future landscapes. Advance techno-economics modeling, design and optimization of IP/Optical transport network. Determine advances in IP/Optical technologies value proposition in different network domains and use cases (5G transport, Cloud network, broadband (FTTx), enterprise and private networks)
- Develop profound understandings of IP/Optical transport networking and the requirements of emerging services.
- Investigate transport network architectures evolution towards more integrated flexible and agile switch fabric and the requirements needs of future technologies.
- Establish network economics impacts of these advanced transport technologies and their competitive edge (productivity, environment, etc.) for communication service providers
- Contribute by developing network modeling, design/optimization techniques and tools for network dimensioning to evaluate what if scenarios for network service operator objectives
As part of our team, you will:
- Gain understanding of Nokia strategic objectives and relationship to internship project
- Engage in dialogue, do research in domains of interest, and expand domain knowledge
- Identify and implement quantitative techniques for future integrated transport network design, optimization and performance and cost analysis and understand how networks of the future can address the requirements of new emerging services and use cases.
- Implement appropriate models and prepare presentation to share findings
What is Nokia looking for from me.
- Good intellectual abilities to frame complex problems relevant to Nokia
- The ability to contribute to development of quantitative approaches utilizing the latest computational techniques, e.g., algorithms and libraries in R, Python
- Good communication and presentation skills in explaining complex topics in short, cohesive, and engaging manner
- Background (e.g., taken graduate courses, projects) on communications networks and IP, optical, wireless communication technologies.
- Evidence of conducting successful studies with minimal supervision (projects, internship)
- Any publications or presentations
It would be nice if you also have:
- Experience in telecommunications and digitalization technology
- Working towards your Master’s/PhD thesis in the areas of communications technologies and networks.
Why we're awesome
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance.
Meaningful Co-op Term: During your co-op term, you will have the opportunity to test out the latest technologies and work on innovative projects that could leave a global impact. You get to use skills learned in the classroom and apply it to real work situations while gaining professional hands-on experience.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
As a federal contractor & pursuant to Presidential Exec. Order 14042, Nokia mandates for all employees a COVID-19 vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
See you this Summer 2023!
“The intern program at Nokia is truly designed to give students all the support and guidance we need to excel in our professional careers. Working at Nokia as a software developer Co-op, I was able to learn and grow with the guidance of mentors from across the company through a multitude of research, development, and leadership opportunities. It was exciting to be able to contribute to real-world projects and apply my previous experiences to new domains, especially since the Nokia work culture encourages innovation and creativity. I’ve made lifelong connections and skills through my time here, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of the Nokia team!” – Mara Hubelbank, Former Nokia Co-op student, Spring - Summer 2021
Follow and engage with us on social media:
Chat with our Nokia insiders to ask questions and learn more about us!
- Vaccination Requirements : FOR US ONLY: Nokia employees, wherever required by law or contractual obligation, must receive a COVID-19 vaccination or an otherwise approved accommodation based upon applicable law.