Bell Labs Math & Algorithms Summer Intern 2200000KYY
Position: Bell Labs Math & Algorithms Intern
Duration: 10 Weeks
Date: June - Aug 2023
Location: Onsite and/or Virtual
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
Nokia Bell Labs is the world-renowned research arm of Nokia, having invented many of the foundational technologies that underpin information and communications networks and all digital devices and systems. This research has produced nine Nobel Prizes, five Turing Awards and numerous other awards.
Bell Labs Summer Intern
Nokia Bell Labs is building the future of human experience and our interns will have the opportunity to learn from and work with industry leading experts, who solve the most formidable challenges confronting our world through disruptive innovation and research.
The candidate must already have a bachelors degree and also hold a masters degree or equivalent in computer science, machine learning, electrical engineering, operations research, applied math, computational physics or chemistry or similar analytica/computational STEM subjects with an accredited school in the US.
What you will learn and contribute to
We're looking for student interns who can work collaboratively and regularly with a mentor or mentors to solve a research problem in communication sciences/technologies and/or machine learning in one of the areas listed above and review progress on a regular basis.
As part of our Communication Sciences/Technologies, you will:
- Digest research literature, and prove analytical results.
- Carry out and analyze analytical results or simulation-based experiments.
As part of the Theory and Practice of Machine Learning), you will in addition
- Analyze deep learning algorithms theoretically and empirically
- Bulid machine learning solutions to real-world industry problems
What is Nokia looking for from me
For Comm Science/Tech we would like you to have:
- Communication theory, signal processing, math optimization, game theory
- Strong analytical skills and clear written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to carry out independent research
It would be nice if you also had experience with some of the following:
- Convex optimization and related topics
- High-level programming languages (Python and/or MATLAB)
- Modern machine learning methods
- High-level machine learning packages (Pytorch, TensorFlow, etc)
- Published research in a scientific conference or journal
For theory and practice of ML we would like you to have:
- Good analytic and mathematical skills
- Graduate level understanding of machine learning and associated concepts (latent features, dimensionality reduction, embedding, etc.)
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch or Tensorflow, and a good understanding of basic deep learning algorithms and neural network architectures
Regardless of either project teams, interns are strongly encouraged to engage in the writing of final results in scientific papers.
Why we're awesome
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance.
Meaningful Co-op Term: During your co-op term, you will have the opportunity to test out the latest technologies and work on innovative projects that could leave a global impact. You get to use skills learned in the classroom and apply it to real work situations while gaining professional hands-on experience.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
As a federal contractor & pursuant to Presidential Exec. Order 14042, Nokia mandates for all employees a COVID-19 vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
See you this Summer 2023
“The intern program at Nokia is truly designed to give students all the support and guidance we need to excel in our professional careers. Working at Nokia as a software developer Co-op, I was able to learn and grow with the guidance of mentors from across the company through a multitude of research, development, and leadership opportunities. It was exciting to be able to contribute to real-world projects and apply my previous experiences to new domains, especially since the Nokia work culture encourages innovation and creativity. I’ve made lifelong connections and skills through my time here, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of the Nokia team!” – Mara Hubelbank, Former Nokia Co-op student, Spring - Summer 2021
Follow and engage with us on social media:
Chat with our Nokia insiders to ask questions and learn more about us!
- Vaccination Requirements : FOR US ONLY: Nokia employees, wherever required by law or contractual obligation, must receive a COVID-19 vaccination or an otherwise approved accommodation based upon applicable law.