Join FHWA and lead a new team within the Office of Operations focused on implementing operations programs through discretionary grants. This team is responsible for administering Federal aid discretionary grants and delivering other initiatives that implement transportation operations programs. Its mission is to advance the state of practice and transfer knowledge related to safe and effective transportation systems management and operations through the administration of grants and other initiatives. In addition, this team works with FHWA Federal-aid Highway Division offices and external stakeholders.
As a Transportation Specialist, you will:
- Provide advice on program and policy issues that involve all areas under the responsibility of program office. Advise senior management on actions which may be taken to improve internal and external program operations as indicated by changes in legislation, regulation, and policy.
- Exercise significant responsibility over program activities to include performance planning, strategic planning and program planning and development. Ensures objectives are fulfilled and completed plans are consistent with the Agency’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Analyze and provide expert advice to staff on existing and proposed transportation and related legislation and regulations that may the program office, including participation in work groups such as the policy review teams.
- Lead and direct an organized and systematic approach for communicating business goals and objectives to all employees and for monitoring progress towards long and short-range goals and objectives.
- Conduct analyses on legislative or management issues and provide recommendations to senior management on the most effective course of action.
- Advise internal and external partners, as well as top leadership on issues of developing, communicating, and enhancing the program office. Conduct special project and initiatives to support the mission of the program office.
The ideal candidate has experience interpreting Federal laws, regulations, and policies regarding delivering the Federal-aid Highway Program. That person also possesses creativity and has an interest in establishing new programs, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to distill critical information for decision-making by senior leadership. The ideal candidate has experience leading teams and organizing people and an interest in personnel management. Knowledge of transportation operations is also beneficial.