Content Marketing and Video Production Intern
The Bismarck Larks are offering internship opportunities for current college students with an interest in sports and event media to gain experience and knowledge in content creation, video/broadcast production and marketing. Bismarck Larks internships provide students with immersive, hands-on-learning to help position them for a career in the sports, entertainment and event industry upon graduation.
Who We Are
The Bismarck Larks joined the Northwoods League (NWL) in 2017. The NWL is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 22 teams, drawing more fans than any league of its kind. The NWL provides top college players from North America and beyond a summer collegiate baseball experience. More than 300 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball in the NWL’s 29-year history.
The Bismarck Larks became the first team in NWL history to win NWL Organization of the Year in back-to-back seasons (2017 & 2018). The Larks sold out 27 of 36 home games in 2017 (75%) and continued their success in 2018 selling out 30 of 36 home games with an average overall attendance of more than 68,000 fans.
In 2020, the Larks became the first sports team in the country to play safely with fans in the stands during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, the Larks sold out 92% of every ticket and were named one of the top 30 employers in sports by Front Office Sports in the company of the Denver Broncos and Savannah Bananas.
In 2022, the Larks sold out 97.5% of every ticket and averaged 1,852 tickets out of 1,900 tickets available each game. In 2023, the Larks will host the NWL All-Star Game and will be installing a brand new Daktronics videoboard at the ballpark to enhance the fan experience.
The Internship Position
The Bismarck Larks are looking for Media and Video Broadcast interns to join their team in Bismarck, North Dakota for the 2023 season. As a Media and Video Broadcast intern you will help support our marketing, media and sponsorship teams by assisting with storytelling and marketing elements including but not limited to: videos, team stories, social media pieces, graphics, press releases, etc. You’ll work closely with the sponsorship and media department plus other internal teams to showcase the Bismarck Larks mission of using FUN to make a difference in our community and state.
The Media and Broadcast internship will lead 8-15 live games featured on ESPN+ and (at least) one live game on NBC to be viewed statewide. This internship will also feature the Sports Director and Broadcaster at KFYR-TV, Lee Timmerman, during the game on NBC.
Media and Video Broadcast interns will serve as Larks representative at various promotions, events, Larks games and Funatix events.
Start Date: May 8, 2023
End Date: August 21, 2023 (dependent on post season play)
Academic Qualifications: Applicants should be studying a subject in a relevant field. This may include but is not limited to Sport Management, Broadcasting, Journalism, Marketing and Communications.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the Larks Media and Video Broadcast team with broadcasting every Larks game live. The team is made up of 3 Camera Operators, 1 Camera Director, 1 Graphics Director, and 1 Broadcaster.
- You can watch previous games on demand for free: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/nwllarks/index.htm#
- Assist with creating and implementing marketing strategies to promote ticket sales, events, sponsored promotions, and the Larks’ brand. Content includes but is not limited to videos, graphics, social media posts, website and program stories, photos, press releases, radio ads and more. Here are some video examples:
- You’ll make content about Larks Players: https://www.facebook.com/bismarcklarks/videos/442466073507606/
- You’ll highlight the FUN we have on the field: https://www.facebook.com/bismarcklarks/videos/347105527016425/
- You’ll make silly things: https://www.facebook.com/bismarcklarks/posts/3290446724304078
- You’ll make content for sponsors that doesn’t have anything to do with baseball: https://www.facebook.com/bismarcklarks/videos/1098356007041760/
- Compile and distribute stat packs, game notes, post-game notes, etc to the NWL and media outlets
- Create visual content for video board including graphics and videos
- Assist with video board equipment
- Assist with social media channels, as needed
- Retouch, edit and manage all photos
- Represent the team at various Larks and Funatix Events and participate in other outside, community events and mascot appearances, as defined by the team
- Promote a positive fan experience by interacting with our fans in all areas of the ballpark
General Team Responsibilities
- Game and Team Event Availability: Expected to be available for all Bismarck Larks home games and team events, this includes weekends and holidays.
- Funatix Event Availability: Expected to be available for all Funatix Events including but not limited to the Mandan Rodeo Days, company picnics, festivals, etc. Full event list will be provided. This includes weekends and holidays.
- Game Day and Event Hours: Expected to be available from mid to late morning through the end of the game and/or event. Schedule will be decided by the direct supervisor on a homestand and event basis.
- Non-Game Day/Event Hours: Expected to attend office hours of 9 AM-5 PM each weekday.
- Assist with distribution of team pocket schedules, posters and other marketing materials throughout the stadium and community
- Assist with ballpark set-up and tear-down before-the-season, after-the-season and during each homestand
- Assist with event set-up and tear-down at team events and Funatix Events
- Assist with Family Fun zone set-up and tear-down
- Maintain ballpark cleanliness including but not limited to: cleaning tables, chairs, Family Fun Zone area, etc.
- Every intern will be required to perform as the mascot at least once during the summer
- Assist with the tarp pull during rain delays
- All other duties as assigned by Larks front office staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Availability to work all home games, team events and Funatix Events
- Previous internship or job in live sports production preferred
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere, InDesign, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom)
- Experience posting to social media including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn
- The ability to work extended hours upwards of 14 hours and lift 30-50 lbs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be a team player with strong leadership and communication skills
- Must be enthusiastic with a desire to work hard and have a positive “can‐do” attitude
- Ability to multi‐task and handle responsibility
- Self‐ motivated and ability to take initiative
- Enthusiastic team player, shows enjoyment and interest in working collaboratively
- Uphold our core values: Best, Uplift, Nerve, Teamwork. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values.
- Uphold our service vision: Happy People Making People Happy. We want people who love what they do, who find joy in making others laugh or smile, who want to use fun and happiness to make a difference in the lives of coworkers, clients and fans.
Reports To: Marketing Director and Entertainment Director
Stipend: This is an unpaid internship. Team will provide a $200 weekly stipend for living expenses such as housing, food and gas.
Housing: The Bismarck Larks will connect interns with a preferred property management company. Interns will be responsible for the cost of housing and utilities.
Credit: College credit towards a major, minor or general elective may be earned.
Work Samples / Portfolio: Please provide a link to work samples, sizzle reels or online portfolio in your resume or cover letter section of the application. Links can be YouTube, personal website, Dropbox, or Google Drive. Work samples could include but are not limited to: videos, graphic design, or writing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.