Data Scientist Pathways Student Intern
The intern serves as an advanced student trainee utilizing data science knowledge in contributing to assigned projects that involve automating processes to assess, integrate, and prepare diverse datasets, and apply accepted and emerging analytical approaches to evaluate statistical data and perform spatial and non-spatial analysis of transportation systems.
As a Data Scientist Pathways Student Intern, duties and responsibilities include:
- Supporting the development of data visualization, assessment and integration methods to prepare diverse data for statistical analysis
- Applying accepted and emerging analytical approaches to perform portions of spatial and statistical analysis of transportation data to assess safety, operational, infrastructure, economic, social, environmental, or other transportation-related impacts
- Assisting in the implementation of information technology solutions to develop websites, mobile applications, and online databases
- Organizing and writing technical reports, as well as preparing and making oral presentations of work to management, sponsors, and other groups
- Exercising considerable interpersonal skills, tact, imagination strong listening skills and resourcefulness when engaging with co-workers, sponsors, and other parties
- Effective oral and written communication skills are essential, as is the ability to actively participate in meetings with staff and sponsors to discuss outcomes and results of analysis
- Performing other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is a student studying Data Science or a related field with at least 4 or more semesters in their program with emphasis on statistical analysis and computation, processing large datasets, and data visualization and an interest in the applications of advanced analytics, including artificial intelligence and machine learning, to solve problems related to surface transportation.