Social Media Intern
Practicum Title: Social Media Intern (2 - POSITIONS; UNPAID/IN PERSON)
Practicum Time Frame: Spring 2023
Division/Office: Office of Communication, Education and Engagement (OCEE)
Practicum Location Address: 1111 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77002
Preceptor/Supervisor Name & Contact Information:
Erica Calderon - Social Media Specialist– email@example.com
Jill Tenhaken – Associate Director for OCEE – firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of Hours (per week): 20 – 40
Required Skills & Minimum Education:
The successful candidate will have base knowledge of Social Media marketing techniques and social media platforms, as well as Office suite capabilities and web-based design programs. Knowledge or experience in Creative suite is a plus. Be enrolled in college/university coursing or in need of an internship to complete degree.
We are looking for a creative and self-motivated marketing/social media/journalist intern to join our internal Social Media team for the upcoming semester. If you’re a professional and an ambitious individual who wants to gain experience in building out a social media tool kit, then we want to work with you. In addition to being a great communicator, you should also have excellent multitasking, time management, and organizational abilities.
Practicum Goals & Learning Objectives:
The candidate will have measurable goals such as:
1. Mastering written skills to HCPH standards
a. Researching relevant content for each platform
b. Delivering messages across precisely
2. Gaining essential background knowledge
a. On how social media works for a public health organization
b. Building onto our current procedures
c. Doing research on relevant public health topics
3. Perfecting interpersonal skills
a. Homing in the ability to connect with people and building trust
b. Learning how to communicate with our community members, as well as our stakeholders, other divisions, and leadership team
- Create a social media campaign for our social media accounts, tailored to fit each one (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, NextDoor).
- Create HCPH branded content (including graphics)
- Curate informative content to be distributed to our community members
- Keep writing clean, concise, and appealing to our audience, meeting each platform needs
- Keep track of KPI’s across platforms during internship
- Analyzing user interactions and providing feedback on how to improve the user experience
- Create a final presentation on what was learnt during the internship and provide feedback for processes and procedures.
- Create a verified portfolio with work done at HCPH for future personal needs.