Technical Writer (Software Documentation)
Technical writers at Ab Initio work closely with software developers to write online help, tutorials, technical examples, videos, and other user documentation for our suite of enterprise software. Writers work in teams with other writers and editors, and we provide training and mentorship for new writers. You’ll learn technical writing from some of the best practitioners in the business, and you’ll gain experience with cutting-edge technology that is used worldwide to solve some of the biggest computing challenges in the business.
Qualified candidates should have some mix of the following skills:
- Major or minor in English, journalism, humanities, technical writing, computer science, or a related technical field.
- Nonfiction writing experience. Examples might include writing for the school newspaper, mentoring others at the campus writing center, or editing a blog or Substack.
- Experience working hands-on with technology. Examples might include building an app or a web site, designing a user interface, or writing and testing instructions for equipment at a maker lab or media center.
- Interest in a career in technical writing. Coursework in technical writing is helpful but not required.
- Aptitude for technology, thoughtful and detail-oriented approach to problem-solving, and good teamwork skills.
- Experience with multimedia (video, podcasts, etc), visual design, human factors, or UX design.