Coordinator of Food Care Services
Academy of Medical & Public Health Services (AMPHS) is a Brooklyn-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating barriers to accessing healthcare for immigrants and other underserved communities in NYC. Every year, we proudly serve and connect more than 10,000 New Yorkers to healthcare systems. For more information, please visit www.amphsonline.org or follow our work at www.facebook.com/AMPHS.NYC.
The Coordinator of Food Care Services is responsible for the management of our Sunset Park Food Pantry and Nutrition Education Program. You will be overseeing AMPHS' food pantry operations, procurement and inventory management, grant contracts, community partnerships, volunteer recruitment and supervision, and program budget. Additionally, you will ensure that food pantry recipients are connected to AMPHS’ wraparound services and other food benefit programs. Finally, nutrition education is an integrated part of this role; you will strategize on the integration of nutritional concepts into our pantry operations, coordinate cooking classes and identify opportunities for collaboration with local, sustainable food producers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Orders food for biweekly pantry, monitors nutritional content, tracks inventory, and receives deliveries
- Recruits, trains and supervises pantry volunteers to ensure adequate staffing and quality service provision.
- Directly manage and oversee pantry’s “day of” site operations and logistics.
- Ensures that all community members are properly registered, that intakes are completed in accordance with program guidelines and regulatory requirements
- Coordinates space for a clean and well-organized distribution and storage area.
- Maintains compliance with NYC and NYS food safety/food handling guidelines.
- Monitors annual program spending allocation in accordance with program budget.
- Generate monthly leadership and funder grant reports.
- Collaborate with AMPHS program staff to connect members to supportive, wraparound services such as ESL classes, SNAP / WIC, and legal assistance, etc.
- Conduct outreach and build collaborative relationships with other food and pantry providers.
- Coordinate nutrition education initiatives, such as designing food info cards, nutrition workshops, cooking workshops, etc.
- Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of related experience in human services, nutrition, food services, food security, community engagement, or outreach sectors.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in social work, public health, nutrition, food sciences, management, or other related fields.
- Competent technology skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Language(s): Bi-lingual language skills in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese and/or Fujianese preferred.
- Vaccination Status: Proof of COVID-19 immunization required for in-person work as mandated by NYC DOHMH and DYCD.
- Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational, time management, project/event management, problem-solving, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated cultural competence with Brooklyn’s diverse Latino, Chinese & Arab communities.
- Motivated and innovative self-starter and team-player.
- Able to lift at least 25 lbs.
- This is a flexible part-time opportunity that requires Saturday availability and 15-20 hours per week of programming coordination.
- This opportunity is funded through an annual grant with opportunities for renewal thereafter.
- Hourly Rate: $25-27, commensurate with experience.
- AMPHS’ compensation package includes:
- Retirement savings
- Paid sick and family leave
- Employee discounts programs
- Professional development opportunities, with opportunities to learn from industry experts to help you advance in the field of public health, health policy, immigration and nonprofit administration
Sounds like you? Send your cover letter, resume, 1-2 page writing sample, and most recent transcript (if still in school or recent graduate) to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration. We will accept applications on a first-come, first-served rolling basis.