Title: Instructional Technologist
Department: SEO Scholars, High School
Location: New York
This is a full-time, hybrid position based out of our New York City office. It is expected that some duties will be performed on-site at least 2-days a week, and some remotely, with the understanding that government and public health guidelines will help determine the extent to which it is safe to carry out in-person and onsite activities.
All candidates must be within commutable distance of SEO’s offices at 55 Exchange Place, New York, NY 10005, upon hire.
We Propel Human Potential. SEO is an educational non-profit focused on improving outcomes for students that come from underserved and historically underrepresented backgrounds. For over 50 years, SEO has been an innovator in education, mentorship, and creating educational programs and opportunities that maximize the full potential of our students. We are on a mission to create an ecosystem of excellence for the students we serve!
ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARS
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets low-income public high school students to and through college–with a 90% college graduation rate. In high school, we offer intensive year-round academic preparation via a carefully-calibrated, rigorously-assessed course of supplemental education. Scholars also receive one-on-one mentorship, enrichment opportunities, SAT prep and strategy courses, tutoring, and individualized guidance through the college application and admissions process. (Learn more here: SEO Scholars)
POSITION OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Instructional Technologist is responsible for administering our Learning Management System (LMS) Brightspace; evaluating and integrating external e-learning tools; and providing technical expertise to different teams as they design student, instructor, and staff user experiences within bichronous and hybrid learning models. The position is a key member of a 15-person Curriculum & Instruction department, and reports to the Director of STEM Strategy & Instructional Technology.
- Collaborate with the Director of STEM Strategy & Instructional Technology to conduct market research evaluations of e-learning tools, identify ways to use these tools to support student engagement and retention, and manage relationships with e-learning tool vendors. Continually research and explore academic technology and curricular tool design, and conduct pilots of new tools and practices as needed.
- Collaborate with the Informational Technology team to set up, test, and manage active LTI integrations between our LMS and external platforms, and support existing API integrations.
- Collaborate with the Operations team to support in the administration of Google Workspace and Zoom for program participants.
- Collaborate with the Curriculum & Instruction team to manage content and quiz items within the Learning Object Repository in our LMS; develop a classification scheme for these items to meet needs related to our core and national program model.
- Collaborate with the Research & Evaluation team to manage assessment tools in our LMS courses and ensure that we are able to access relevant student progress data; manage tools related to automation, gamification, and differentiated learning pathways; support content development teams in their use of pre-built components, templates and Interactive Assessment Tools to design dynamic and engaging HTML5 pages.
- Design systems and processes around LMS administration and course design that are scalable and support national expansion. Consult with the Director of STEM Strategy & Instructional Technology on projects related to our LMS as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required (e.g. IT systems, Computer Science, Instructional Design)
- 1 to 3 years of professional experience as an LMS administrator or support role (Brightspace preferred) and/or experience administering another type of online educational platform
- Knowledge of LTI and API integrations.
- Strong technical skill and expertise in managing complex online systems, processes, and operations
- Strong written communication skills
- Skilled at public speaking and navigating communication in a variety of settings
- Able to work a regular Monday – Friday schedule
- Experience designing and managing websites.
- Proficient in HTML5, CSS, JSON, Python
- Experience designing content and user experiences within Brightspace
- Experience using Domo to create data dashboards
- Knowledge of User Experience (UX) and Universal Design principles relevant to online education
- Familiarity with Google Workspace and Zoom
- Highly resourceful, solutions-oriented, and flexible with changing priorities
- Thoughtful, reflective, and collaborative
- Committed to ensuring high-quality experiences for students and instructors when engaging with our online tools
- Passionate about closing the opportunity gap on the high school and college level for first- generation and low-income students
In view of governmental vaccination mandates in areas we work, the pending federal vaccination mandate for large employers, as well as the guidance of the CDC that vaccination is the most effective means to provide a safe working and teaching environment, subject to applicable law, applicants who obtain a conditional job offer will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement before beginning employment with SEO.
At SEO we are committed to cultivating a team that embodies the backgrounds and experiences of the constituencies we serve and the communities we live in, and a workplace that reflects the impact we make in the world. Candidates from historically excluded and underrepresented communities – including people of color, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ Community, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it is our commitment.
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other legally protected status.
If you need accommodation while applying for a role with SEO, due to a disability, please email SEO Careers Help.