Supply Chain and Category Analyst
The Supply Chain & Category Analyst plays a critical role for BNL and the Procurement and Property Management (PPM) Division with the responsibility for developing, implementing, leading, and managing the overall category strategy for the lab. This includes identifying strategic category imperatives aligned to PPM business objectives, develop category strategies, ensuring the execution of category strategies, overseeing strategic sourcing vehicles, serving as a liaison to lab end-users and subcontract administrators/buyers, and other initiatives aimed at reducing the total cost of ownership (TCO) of categories, products and services procured by PPM.
This role is responsible for the facilitation and establishment of cross-functional teams, providing the climate and support necessary for category teams to operate effectively and to ensure the effective execution of approved category strategies. The Supply Chain & Category Analyst is also responsible for ensuring the sustainability of the category initiatives, identifying supply/performance risks, and has overall ownership for BNL’s Supplier Relationship Management Program. This position can be either remote (with designated travel to the BNL site) or on-site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Supply Chain & Category Analyst oversees the overall category strategy of the lab. Using established supply chain and strategic sourcing methodologies, this role will perform data analysis, engage with end-users and identify opportunities to leverage strategic approaches including (but not limited to): catalog development and implementation, new procurement process design and implementation, manage supplier performance/relationships, ordering agreement management and administration, reporting, and PO/Subcontract award/administration. In conjunction with category strategy development and oversight, this role will be resposible for aligning the category strategy with subcontract/purchasing and monitoring subcontract/PO execution within each category. The following are the required duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Responsible for assigned category supplier tactical and strategic relationships.
- Coordinate Cross Functional Teams in the development of category supplier strategies, risk assessments, performance tracking, and to drive supplier performance to procurement or subcontract requirements.
- Execute and manage category specific procurements/agreements from proposal through administration to closeout.
- Responsible for assisting with category supplier tactical and strategic relationships and assist with category specific minor procurements.
- Represent PPM at various levels on cross-functional teams to drive procurement outcomes.
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with suppliers, customers, and internal stakeholders.
- Be responsible for the management of supplier performance throughout the contractual lifecycle; monitor and resolve supplier performance issues and any internal issues that affect supplier performance as needed.
- Develop risk assessments, manage supplier risk through targeted negotiation strategies/plans in conjunction with the associated team/technical leads to identify supplier risk and opportunities to achieve program/customer objectives.
- Category management strategy initiation, planning and process development leadership.
- Category management stream business integration, performance capability and capacity management.
- Stakeholder category relationship management.
- Category management stream and cross functional team category program management.
- Cross-category/team knowledge, collaboration and leverage opportunity identification.
- Continuously scans the category management and strategic sourcing environment, to keep abreast of approaches and trends.
- Synthesizes the above knowledge to develop ideas for category strategy improvement opportunities within the organization.
- Engages with PPM staff to clarify and prioritize the value that is required from the category management and procurement operations functions.
- In coordination with PPM Management, tracks the business environment on an ongoing basis and assimilates changes in customer needs in order to identify special category related opportunities that might arise.
- Determines the lab wide category-based opportunities that exist to reduce the TCO of products, equipment and services by clarifying the organization’s business plans that will impact or be impacted by suppliers.
- Liaises with technical staff as needed to implement process automations and systems.
- May serve as a temporary back-up to the systems administrator as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS Degree in Business or related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience in Purchasing, Procurement, Contracting, Acquisition, or related business specialty; four (4) years of which directly engage in process development/improvement, data development, visualization and analysis, and KPI tracking or development (or any combination of the above).
- Demonstrated subcontract administration and/or purchasing experience within a research and development environment.
- Knowledge of Federal/DOE Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and knowledge of applying governing contract terms and conditions.
- With assistance, ability to develop strategies to deal with project and program contractual issues.
- Financial analysis and business math skills.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, with attention to detail and planning.
- Ability to work in a changing and fast pace team-oriented environment.
- Ability to interpret and discuss technical information with others, analyze input and issues, and provide solutions to less complex contractual issues.
- Demonstrated experience creating and analyzing complex procurement reports.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing new organization-wide procurement processes.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing complex spend data and translating into actionable strategic sourcing strategies.
- Very strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- MBA Preferred.
- Project management experience.
- Experience leading organization-wide spend/category analysis projects.
- Experience working on procurement systems implementation projects.