Project Controls Manager
Candidate will report to the PMC Manager and will be responsible for the implementation of cost and schedule project planning and control functions for large scientific construction projects and smaller GPP/IGPP projects. The Project Management Center is responsible for providing Project Management expertise to the Principal Investigator or Project Director/Manager including expertise in initial planning, cost estimating, scheduling, risk assessment, EVMS reporting, change control and project management training and documentation. The project management/controls experience should be in the earliest stages of project planning through execution including change control and project closeout. Selected candidate will draw upon a sophisticated understanding of project management methodology, project control principles, and hands-on experience with Primavera and Cobra to successfully ensure compliance with BNL and DOE Project Management requirements, and train PMC staff as needed.
Due to the nature of position, we cannot authorize remote work for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all aspects of an Earned Value Management System (EVMS) implementation, which consists of developing a fully integrated resource loaded schedule
- Serve as SME for all aspects of developing resource requirements to support the development of the project cost estimate
- Responsible for analyzing the project schedule using critical path methodology and project metrics and also for implementing changes to the baseline
- Responsible for developing performance measurement monthly report for the management team and stakeholders including DOE.
- Conduct training for project technical staff to define scope of work, project risks, baseline changes variance analysis, and implementation of corrective actions
- Report data/status from various projects at meetings and EVMS surveillance reviews
- Manage large construction subcontractor schedules along with EVMS flow down
- Support the development and deployment of new techniques and tools
- Represent SLI/GPP/IGPP projects at BNL Project Controls Forum (PC Forum) and represent BNL at various Project Controls communities within DOE laboratories
- Develop templates, serving as a scheduling tool specialist, and counsel program managers/control account managers on the maintenance of their schedules
- Serve as SME on proposal preparation, procedure development and Project Management Training
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Engineering, Project Management or closely related field.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional Project Controls experience, of which 10 years are within DOE environment supporting large conventional construction projects.
- Advanced understanding of Project Management/Controls principles (cost estimating, budgeting, cost/schedule baseline development, performance management tracking, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience managing large subcontractor schedules and integrating them into the project master schedule.
- Solid understanding of Earned Value Management System processes and requirements
- Expert user of Primavera P6, Cobra and Excel software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Microsoft Project.
- Solid analytical and reasoning skills and proven ability to develop solutions to complex problems
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively handle one’s own time to deliver results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with presentation experience
- Must be a self-starter, a team player, willing to take initiative and able to perform independently.
- Demonstrated experience training project controls staff
- Demonstrated experience with DOE0413.3B projects and EVMS compliance by directly supporting large projects and by means of participation in internal/ external Project CD reviews and EVMS surveillance reviews
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree
- Professional Certifications such as PMP, RMP, SP, EVP etc.
- Experience with PowerBI
- Experience with designing new project management tools