Associate Engineer, Protection & Controls
Protection and Control Engineer is responsible for performing engineering work activities and assignments associated with the design and operation of protection and control systems necessary for the safe and reliable operation of the transmission and distribution system. Primary job responsibilities will be focused on the application of new protective relaying for existing infrastructure or new transmission and distribution capital projects. Additional responsibilities include participating in on-call duties and analyzing protection system operations, to provide support to operations on unplanned outages. This position shares accountability with peers in the planning, project management, substation engineering, operations, and maintenance organizations to carry out the efficient and timely completion of system reliability projects, generation interconnection projects and system restoration and troubleshooting efforts.
- Responsible for performing power system studies including short circuit analysis and system protection settings coordination on various transmission and distribution projects.
- Model transmission system impedances and relay settings in ASPEN Oneliner.
- Develop relay settings for capital projects and asset maintenance projects in accordance with Eversource Standards and NPCC standards. This includes relay configuration files and design basis documentation for protective settings.
- Ensure Compliance with all applicable NERC reliability standards, including contingency analysis, relay loadability and coordination of protection systems.
- Participate in project scoping activities for substation projects. Review and evaluate proposed changes to existing protection schemes and/ or propose new protection and control schemes as needed.
- Review design drawings and settings for project deliverables developed by contractors. This includes providing technical support and reviewing and approving invoices.
- Specify materials associated with new or modified Protection and Control systems for assigned projects.
- Analyze protection system operations during transmission and distribution system disturbances to determine root cause and recommend system improvements.
- Interface with Eversource Planning, Operations and Field personnel to support their efforts to plan, operate and maintain the transmission and distribution system.
- Manage and perform work activities in a self-sufficient manner and ensure meeting project deadlines.
- Participate in peer reviews, as-left verification and retention of all protection settings using Eversource’s settings management system (PowerBase).
- Actively support storm and/or emergency restoration assignments.
- Promote a safety culture to perform the work safely and adhere to safe work practices.
- Bachelor or Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. A focus in power system engineering is Preferred.
Experience and Minimum Requirements:
- Strong analytical skills and an aptitude for detailed engineering.
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
Protection and Controls experience is preferred, including:
- Internship with a power utility.
- Familiarity with ASPEN, CAPE or an equivalent short circuit analysis software.
- Familiarity with relay settings.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- This position is categorized as safety-sensitive for the purpose of drug testing. Successful applicants shall be subject to a pre-assignment drug test if the individual is currently in a non-safety sensitive position. As an employee in this position the individual shall be subject to random drug testing. A positive drug test will result in disciplinary action.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for resolution
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and customers.
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with others
Manage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company goals
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your performance
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending meetings, etc.
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to achieve “One Company” and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team, colleagues, and customers in your work
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to support changes in priorities and work processes
Focus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive and timely manner