Full Stack Software Developer
The Analytics and AI Methods at Scale (AAIMS) Group in the National Center for Computational Science (NCCS) seeks highly motivated individual(s) to work with our staff scientists to design and develop scalable data pipeline, as well as web-based interactive visual analytic applications to drive toward operational intelligence. We are looking for someone that is creative, well-rounded, and has the eagerness and technical curiosity to explore and work with exciting new technologies. You should be comfortable following software best practices and be able to contribute to a range of projects from initial development to continued improvement.
The NCCS and its Leadership Computing Program (OLCF) provides world class computing facilities to applications across all computational domains and disciplines, and through this position you will be able to impact and further the mission of NCCS and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. We are an inclusive dynamic environment that welcomes those with initiative and creativity.
NCCS collects operational data from various sources such as the HPC facility, storage backends, networks, parallel file systems, and applications and jobs at very high velocity and volume. You will have the opportunity to leverage your expertise in software engineering to help build the scalable data pipelines as well as web-based visual analytical applications that aims to enhance situational awareness & operational efficiency of our users & operations.
While data science experience is not required, you will help architect such systems by collaborating in an interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers from backgrounds in data science, software engineering and system software, with ample growth opportunities.
Major related areas of activities are listed below but are not limited to:
- Design and develop scalable data pipeline components that perform data acquisition, processing, and handling.
- Design, implement, or support web based interactive visual analytics applications that leverages the data artifacts from the underlying data pipelines & machine learning development activities from live data.
- Operation & maintenance of an eco-system of data pipeline, workflow components, services, and applications in production
- Support staff scientists to conduct scalable data processing, analytics, operational insight extraction, and visualization by providing software engineering support in building systems, tools, and frameworks.
- B.S. degree in computer science, or related technical subjects and 2+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Solid understanding of full technology stack (e.g., HTTPS, RESTful services, client-side frameworks, data persistency technologies)
- M.S. degree in computer science or software engineering or equivalent program and at least 1 year of relevant experience.
- Familiarity in industry software engineering practices that touches test driven development, continuous integration & delivery (deployment), and site reliability engineering
- Data engineering experience and knowledge leveraging various frameworks, systems, and tools to handle large datasets in motion
- Experience in developing web applications, web services API, and/or web-based interactive visual analytics applications
- Working experience using Kubernetes, container management & orchestration in a production environment.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.