Sr. Systems Engineer
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is currently seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Systems Engineer to work in the IT department. This role will manage and coordinate the day-to-day planning, design, operations, and maintenance of server-based computing systems for the enterprise consistent with client needs, organizational objectives and technological resources. Along with being responsible for identifying, planning and executing systems projects as well as the installation, maintenance and usage of the enterprise’s computing resources.
Responsibilities will include:
· Identify, plan and execute systems projects.
· Install, maintain and review of the enterprise’s computing resources.
· Monitors, analyzes, and measures server resources to ensure optimal performance and capacity planning through real time and periodic reporting.
· Provides technical lead and/or supervises systems engineers I, II and III.
· Coordinates with vendors on equipment configuration and resolution of problems.
· Establishes/recommends policies on system use and services.
· Performs weekend on-call functions.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned biomedical research institution in New York. It has shaped contemporary biomedical research and is the home of eight Nobel Prize laureates. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory provides a highly dynamic and interactive research environment and also a unique opportunity of timely exposure to advances in various biomedical research fields and of interaction with a broad range of researchers from all over the world through its renowned Meetings and Courses program.
We believe that science is for everyone. Our laboratory offers a collaborative and dynamic research environment, and we prioritize increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in science. Individuals from non-traditional and/or under-represented background are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Two years of college or equivalent post-high school education or experience.
- More than five years of previous system administration experience.
- Experience managing, configuring, and monitoring HPC schedulers (SGE/UGE/AGE, Slurm, PBS, LSF)
- Experience designing, managing, and monitoring HPC clusters with a cluster manager such as Bright, OpenHPC, xCAT, or Warewulf
- Experience working with and monitoring a parallel filesystem in an HPC environment (GPFS, Lustre, BeGFS, VAST, Weka, Ceph, etc)
- Building scientific software from source and managing dependencies (EasyBuild, Spack, etc)
- Experience with GPU/CUDA workloads in an HPC cluster
- Worked with containers in an HPC environment
- Experience Able to adapt and influence in a rapidly changing environment and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Can develop and build relationships and have the ability to work both independently with little supervision as well as in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of data center environments – data center management, server monitoring, enterprise networking, rapid deployment, blade server deployment, rack layouts, cabling, and power distribution
- Experience utilizing multiple vendor product lines and platforms within enterprise mission critical high-availability environments
- Strong programming skills in an administrative language (Python, Perl, Bash), to port C programs from one platform to another, and to write small C or C# programs.
- Advanced knowledge of server security policy configurations
- Work experience in the installation and troubleshooting of any Relational DBMS.
- Understanding of networking technology at the physical (twisted pair, fiber optic) and logical (Ethernet, TCP/IP) level including the various supporting services and protocols (DNS, LDAP, NIS+, NTLM, Kerberos, SMB, AFP)
Desirable Background and Skills
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Python and R scientific applications
- Workflow integration with schedulers (Nextflow, Snakemake)
- Experience with other configuration management tools such as Ansible, Salt, etc
- Multiple OS and hardware certifications a plus.
- Extensive programming background in any applicable language.
- Motivated to advance in the profession.
- Stays current with changes in the industry, and their ramifications to the organization
For immediate consideration, kindly create an account and apply to the online application found here: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/20194 Requisition Number: 01781-A
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, discounted onsite Bright Horizons childcare, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our CSHL Benefits site to learn more.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of your employment at the Laboratory. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.