Energy - Modeling & Architecture Engineer Internship (Spring 2023)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2023 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
The Tesla Energy Products team is bringing battery and solar technology to the grid to facilitate a renewable energy ecosystem and redefine the way the world will use energy in the future. As part of the Modeling & Architecture team, Intern will help define Tesla’s strategy to meet those goals by leveraging your physics fundamentals, simulation tools, systems optimization thinking and common sense. Our team is small, committed, fast moving and we believe a diverse team of motivated individuals can accomplish almost anything. We are problem solvers, team players and game changers. If this sounds like you, Tesla just might be the place to make your mark!
- Uses physics-based modeling to develop and maintain electro-thermal system models for Powerwall, Megapack and Supercharger products to drive product specifications and system optimization analyses
- Develop fully automated modeling infrastructure for conducting system specification, electro-thermal, techno-economical, and mission profile analyses
- Provides support in strategy, design, simulation and validation by closely working with applications, battery, power electronics, hardware, solar and validation engineering teams
- Responsible to balance efficiency, power, and generation capabilities against costs for our current products and future product roadmap through simulation modeling
- Currently pursuing a BS or MS in electrical or mechanical engineering
- Fundamentals in power electronic and battery technology
- Solid engineering fundamentals – electrical, thermal, mechanical
- Great hands-on building and problem solving skills
- Fluency in Matlab / Simulink
- Experience with battery and power electronics energy storage design to optimize for efficiency, volume, cost, thermal, and controls goals through simulation modeling
- Ability to generate and interpret simulation results and integrate recommendations into product designs
- Experience with data analysis using Python/Spark is a plus
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).