Internship – Finance and Budget Job Category: HR-CAO
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
- Prepares and analyzes portions of the OS monthly variance analysis and cost statements including forecast updates.
- Assists in coordination of accounting information from outage directors/managers and regional business managers to COSCI Accounting and FP&A.
- Assists with preparation of OS major maintenance and department budget.
- Position will be involved in development of and preparation of various OS process metrics.
- Assists in preparation of monthly internal management reporting packages on results of outages, which includes variance analysis.
- Develops and maintains job processes and procedures.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Working toward Four-year degree in accounting/finance/economics. Related experience will be considered
- Excellent spreadsheet modeling skills are required
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and technical skills
- Results-oriented; able to work autonomously and in a team environment
- Self-starter with initiative and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment with significant deadlines
- Dependable and can follow through on all assignments
- Must be detailed oriented
- Candidate should be a rising Junior or Senior working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in a Finance, Economics, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or Engineering at an accredited college or University.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA required.
- Legally eligible to work in the US now and in the future.
- Strong Excel skills (Vlookup, Sumifs, Pivot Tables, Macros)
- Demonstrated modeling aptitude creating complex Excel models.
- Ability to apply analytical tools such as Tableau
- Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the power or utility sector, is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
Additional Calpine Information
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here