Enabling Cutting Edge Features for Analog/RF Process Design Kits (Summer/Fall 2023)
GlobalFoundries (GF) is a leading full-service semiconductor foundry providing a unique combination of design, development, and fabrication services to some of the world’s most inspired technology companies. With a global manufacturing footprint spanning three continents, GF makes possible the technologies and systems that transform industries and give customers the power to shape their markets. For more information, visit www.gf.com.
Internship Program Overview:
Our Interns & Co-ops are our entry-level talent pipeline for GF across the globe. Our goal is to provide students with a meaningful work experience that will equip them with the skills to embark on a career in the fast-paced and growing semiconductor industry after graduation. As an intern at GF, you’ll experience one-on-one mentorship, work assignments that prioritize your growth and potential, professional development opportunities, and the chance to network with executives.
Summary of Role:
The Process Design Kits (PDK) team is constantly innovating on cutting edge features for our numerous technologies. This internship is a unique opportunity for the candidate to have a major and lasting impact on the semiconductor industry by being a key actor in developing innovative EDA solutions.
We need someone smart, creative, and self-motivated that will be excited to leverage their skills in Analog/RF Design flow to bring our PDK to the next level.
You will learn and get familiar with various aspects of custom design such as:
- Cadence Virtuosos technology file development and SKILL coding.
- Development of SKILL PCells, including writing callbacks and netlisting functions for simulators.
- Developing layout and schematics in the Cadence Design Environment.
- Automation and running full custom design flow which includes Simulation, DRC, LVS, Parasitic Extraction, Back-annotation and post-layout simulation.
Essential Responsibilities include:
- Basic knowledge of device level layout and simulation.
- Experience using Linux/Unix Environment.
- Good programming skills (python is preferred, but also Perl, Tcl, shell scripting etc.)
- Knowledge of process design kits (PDKs), Cadence Virtuoso and/or Cadence SKILL programming language.
- Knowledge of Machine Learning techniques.
- Perform all activities in a safe and responsible manner and support all Environmental, Health, Safety & Security requirements and programs.
- Education – Actively pursuing a Master’s, or PhD in EE and/or CS or related field.
- Language Fluency - English (Written & Verbal).
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week during the internship.
- Prior related internship or co-op experience.
- Project management skills, i.e. the ability to innovate and execute on solutions that matter; the ability to navigate ambiguity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills .
- Strong planning & organizational skills.
- Strong programming skills in python.
- Good understanding of semiconductor process layout rules and concepts.
- Experience with Machine Learning and/or Data Science would be a plus.
- Ability to collaborate across teams to define common project specs.