Personal Trainer/Exercise Specialist
Fitness Department Internship Program
To provide fitness, wellness, and support to the central Indiana community while also bridging the gap between physical therapy and fitness.
To be the best provider of health and fitness services in central Indiana offering high quality programs, excellent customer service and state-of-the-art facilities.
· Outstanding customer service
· Superior cleanliness
· Full spectrum of fitness techniques
· Individualized fitness training
Indianapolis Healthplex Sports Club is a 158,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility located on the campus of Community Westview Hospital. It combines high quality medical and rehabilitative services with a cutting edge fitness facility and programs. Community Healthplex encourages lifelong physical fitness as the primary means of prevention and offers the finest restorative and rehabilitative care when prevention is not enough. The ultimate goal of Indianapolis Healthplex is to enhance the health and well-being of the community.
Indianapolis Healthplex offers a variety of programs to meet the needs of all individuals including children, adults, seniors, and special populations. Some of our programs include: aquatics, tennis, group fitness, personal training, fitness assessments, children’s services, post-rehabilitation, sports performance, and various ball sports.
The fitness internship program is designed to be a mutually beneficial experience for the student and Indianapolis Healthplex. We believe that the intern should be exposed to a broad range of activities and events, which will assist in the learning process and provide experience in all aspects of the health and fitness industry. This will provide a practical, experiential learning environment for competent, responsible, goal-oriented students who wish to prepare for a career in health and fitness. At the same time, it provides the Healthplex with a source for new ideas and growth.
Students will work 15-20 hours per week. Internships are unpaid, however, there are circumstances where an intern will be paid and opportunities to earn money in various ways throughout their time here.
If the student has a personal training certification from either NASM, NSCA, or ACSM, they can pick up a few clients, help with our clients referred to us from hospital and therapy partnerships, and/or create group ex classes in which they will get paid for. Also, the intern can cover floor hours where they assist with questions from the members and keep the fitness floor clean and organized. These paid hours will be in addition to the regular hours required for the internship.
If the student does not have a certification, they will be working towards one while interning. The fitness director will be constantly quizzing the person on topics. Also, the intern will be shadowing more sessions and practicing on their programming while receiving real life case studies on members. The Fitness Director will look each program over.
We allow for a maximum of three interns per semester. Please note that a face-to-face interview is required to be considered for the position. To ensure a good fit for the student as well as for Indianapolis Healthplex, the intern should be mature, professional, a self- starter, work well with others, a healthy role model, well groomed, outgoing, creative, enthusiastic, and have good verbal and written communication skills.
Internship Qualifications - Required
- Approval of the college or university advisor/department chair
- Cover letter, resume, and a copy of college transcripts
- Candidates must have junior or senior status with priority given to students within 12-15 hours of graduation.
- Must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 and an average GPA of 3.0 in major courses.
- CPR certification (We do offer free CPR classes to employees and interns who need to be certified).
Internships Qualifications - Preferred
- NSCA, NASM, or ACSM certification
- Any fitness related work experience
- Personal training experience
- College course work in exercise physiology and/or kinesiology
Intern Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist fitness staff with machine orientations, fitness assessments, and one-on-one appointments.
- Create an exercise incentive program, that could be used in the future
- Write one article on topic(s) of interest for publication on the club website or newsletter.
- Train at least one employee a week for 30 minutes.
- Assist in working with special populations (i.e. youth, seniors, disabled).
- Supervise and maintain safety of the exercise floor including ensuring correct technique and use of equipment.
- Participate in special projects and assignments as needed.
- Create, design, and implement new programs of use and interest to our club population.
- Assist in the maintenance of facility and equipment; also assist with daily operations (answer phones, clean equipment, pick up weights, etc.)
- Instruct group fitness classes with the approval of the Group Fitness Coordinator.
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions deemed appropriate.
- Perform as a member of the staff under the same policies and procedures specified in the Healthplex employee manual.
- Maintain a mature, professional attitude and conduct while performing duties and completing assignments.
- Comply with the time commitments agreed upon
- Any and all variances including early departures, tardiness, and absences must be approved by the Internship Coordinator in advance. The time commitment must be met prior to assigning the intern’s final evaluation and grade for the academic credit.
- Submit weekly reports on your experience and evaluate areas for improvement.
- Take full responsibility for meeting your university guidelines.
- Communicate openly about the internship experience to the Internship Coordinator regarding expectations, goals, conflicts, and problems that arise so that action can be taken to accomplish or resolve them.
- Prepare a 4-6 week fitness program for one of our employees (employee will be chosen)
- Outline a program that would be beneficial for the club to run. This includes a budget sheet (expenses, revenues, equipment, etc.) and what each day of the program would entail.
Benefits of a Community Healthplex Sports Club Internship
There are numerous benefits to completing an internship at Indianapolis Healthplex. First, it offers the student work experience at a state-of-the-art fitness and wellness facility. Secondly, we provide in-depth instruction and training in the following areas:
· Fitness Assessments, Member Consultations and One-on-One Sessions
· Group Fitness Classes
· Personal Training
· Fitness Programs
· Medically Referred Exercise Program
· Health and Wellness Seminars
- Opportunity to work with all populations including youth, seniors, Alzheimer’s’ patients, and members with chronic conditions.
- Opportunity to get experience in other areas such as aquatics and youth fitness.
- Free membership to club for duration of internship
For more information on internships at Community Healthplex Sports Club, please contact: