Mechanical (HVAC) Engineer/Project Manager
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced mechanical engineering professional with project management experience. The individual shall have a minimum of 3 years of HVAC engineering design with project management experience in commercial and institutional building applications. The candidate will assist project managers and senior engineers with mechanical (HVAC) engineering task and will provide general mechanical engineering support for design and construction project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The selected candidate will be experienced in and responsible for layout and design of ductwork, piping, and air handling equipment; as well as preparation of specifications, detailed cost estimation, and calculations.
- Analyze complex engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Development of detailed risers to provide direction for contractors.
- Perform construction related activities including the review of shop drawing submittals, preparation of Request for Information (RFI) responses.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates, perform calculations, conduct site visits before and during construction to identify issues and recommend field modifications depending on site conditions.
- Provide assistance to project managers overseeing projects by external A/E consultants.
- Engage customers, facility project managers, and contractors as part of work planning procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and at least three (3) years progressive responsible experience in mechanical (HVAC) systems design.
- Experienced in design of hot/cold water, steam, compressed air, HVAC/R, hydronic heating, chilled water, and other process-related systems for industrial, commercial, and laboratory projects.
- Knowledge in heat loss/gain calculations, equipment selection, duct design, piping design, chillers, cooling towers, etc.
- Candidate should be able to evaluate proposed solutions and weight their impact on cost, scheduling of construction, and long-term maintenance.
- Developing equipment pre-purchase design packages with all required performance requirements to make certain equipment is in line with project goals.
- Proficient in design calculation software.
- Preparation of reports and presentations.
- Management of multi-discipline teams.
- On-time and on-budget delivery of projects.
- Must be knowledgeable in the International Mechanical Code, NYS Mechanical Code, SMACNA and ASHRAE standards.
- Perform field investigation tasks (during design and construction phases) for assigned projects.
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills are required.
- Must be proficient in the use of AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An advanced degree (such as Masters’ degree in Mechanical Engineering)
- Professional engineering license in New York State
- Project Management Professional certification is a plus
- Controls System Experience
- Basic use of Revit
- Knowledge of plumbing and/or fire protection systems is a plus