Beam is seeking a motivated co-op student to support our ophthalmology programs from January through June of 2023. The ideal candidate will support in vitro efforts in developing next-generation base editing technologies and will have comprehensive skills in molecular biology techniques and mammalian cell culture. Ophthalmology experience is not required.
- Mammalian cell culture and transfection
- Molecular biology support: vector and primer design, cloning, PCR, DNA/RNA isolation, Sanger sequencing analysis, etc.
- NGS sample preparation
- AAV vector optimization
- Western blot and ELISA assays to characterize protein expression
- Pursuing a BS or MS in a biological science with at least 1-2 years of academic or industrial research experience
- Good understanding of gene editing tools and principles (CRISPR, or DNA/RNA base editors)
- Knowledge of gene delivery techniques such as lentivirus, AAV and non-viral delivery technologies
- Experience with mammalian cell culture
- Experience or familiarity with DNA/RNA isolation techniques desired, but not necessary
- Proficient in the use of Excel, PowerPoint, and data analysis and visualization tools such as GraphPad Prism.
- Experience maintaining a lab notebook and following written protocols with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, and excellent organizational and communication skills.