2023 Summer Field Trade Marketing Intern - Los Angeles CA Sales Region
Reynolds American is evolving at pace - truly like no other organization.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A TERRITORY MANAGER INTERN
JOB TITLE: Territory Manager Intern
SUB FUNCTION: Marketing - Trade Marketing & Distribution - Field
ROLE SUMMARY AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
Territory Manager Interns are charged to learn and embody Reynolds Marketing Services Company’s (“RMSC”) strategic vision of transforming the tobacco industry. RMSC’s Territory Manager Interns, with the guidance of mentors, are responsible for representing the company in the sale, marketing and promotion of its full portfolio of products and programs while engaging both retail outlets and adult nicotine consumers.
The Territory Manager Intern position allows individuals to work alongside full-time RMSC employees as they consistently demonstrate their entrepreneurial approach in the selling and execution of the company’s brand marketing plans by leveraging the 5P marketing mix; Product Availability, Promotions, Presence, Pricing, and Personal Selling.
Each Territory Manager Intern is provided exceptional training. This includes comprehensive industry learning and coaching support that enables individuals to leverage their strengths. The company demonstrates this commitment by empowering employees to challenge conventional thinking and creates an environment for innovative thinkers.
Independent judgment/decision-making, influencing/sales skills, strong organization, time management and data-analysis skills are key essentials to the position of a full-time Territory Manager. During the Internship Program, Interns will be exposed to training surrounding these skills to best prepare for a career at RMSC.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organization?
Territory Manager Interns will work alongside full-time Territory Managers to contribute to the successful execution of strategic business plans and marketing programs by achieving commercial sales goals within a territory assignment. Territory Manager Interns will work in Intern groups to develop and present a strategic business analysis project addressing real business opportunities and creating action plans against those opportunities.
Senior Division Manager
Number of Direct Reports
Internal – Division, mentors and regional teams
External – Retail customers
5 days per week, up to 100 miles per day (greater travel could be possible)
- Participates in a full-time, 40-hour work week Internship Program for 10 weeks.
- Collaborates with other Division and Region teams.
- Develops superior product knowledge and, under mentor guidance, effectively educates and engages adult nicotine customers in dialogue about our portfolio of nicotine products.
- Functions independently and collaboratively.
- Learns about product sales, distribution, and consumer marketing brand strategies.
- Under mentor guidance, calls on established traditional and non-traditional retail outlets (c-gas, tobacco shops, convenience stores) while building relationships with store managers/owners.
- Actively promotes the marketing mix driving performance against assigned quantitative and qualitative sales goals and brand measures.
- Develop and present a strategic business analysis project addressing real business opportunities and creating action plans against those opportunities.
- Timely completes administrative tasks including e-Learnings, expense reports and vehicle mileage reports.
- Completes personal development and training sessions on social styles and adaptive communication.
- Effectively and appropriately uses independent judgment in making business and strategy recommendations.
Where is this role located?
Territory Manager Interns are in 4 sales areas covering the entire United States. LA Territory Manager Interns are within the Los Angeles Region, which is comprised of Divisions throughout North and South California. During the application process, please select your first and second choice summer internship locations. You will have the opportunity to expand your mobility preferences, to include your interest in multiple zones, during the application/interview process for a full-time employment offer.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, BENEFITS
- 21 years or older at the start of Internship Program
- Valid U.S. driver’s license with no restrictions and safe driving record
- Established ability to work independently and with a team
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative working relationships
- Commitment to personal and professional development
- Proficient with MS Office applications
Technical / Functional / Leadership Skills Required (*Essential functions)
- Transformational Mindset: effectively exhibits change agility, translates vision into actionable plans, challenges the status quo, manages ambiguity, simplifies, and prioritizes tasks
- Inspiring Leadership: drives alignment, sets clear expectations to elevate individual and team performance, and identify, lead and support initiatives that challenge prevailing mindsets and current processes
- Develops and Stretches Talent elevates individual and team performance, shows evidence and interest in stretch opportunities, and demonstrates a visible commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Insight and Execution demonstrates optimism, a winning mindset, ability to be nimble and pivot when needed and drives high quality output
- *Ability to communicate with and engage retail customers and adult nicotine consumers in person
- Innovative problem solver with strong communication skills
- Leadership, self-motivation and initiative
- Has a high level of persistence, resilience, and results orientation
- Vigorously embraces change
- *Ability to work full time, 40 hours per week
- *Ability and willingness to drive up to 100 miles per day (greater travel could be a possibility)
Physical Requirements (*Essential functions)
- *Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- *Ability to climb and work from heights ranging from 9 to 12 feet
- *Ability to access and work in limited and confined spaces
- *Ability to visually inspect and manipulate merchandise and advertising displays
- *Ability to frequently stoop, kneel and crouch
Education / Qualifications / Certifications Required
- Rising senior pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree – Business Preferred
- Leadership training opportunities
- Roundtable Networking Events with senior leadership
- Engagement Events with fellow interns
- Generous salary
- Paid housing
- Company provided laptop, vehicle and gas card
- Participation in Reynolds American’s award-winning 401(k) retirement savings plan including company contributions
- Confidential personal financial counselling service at no cost to you
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that welcome opportunities for growth. We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences, and talents to improve the company's potential for optimally achieving its business objectives!
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly via email at TalentAcquisition@RJRT.com.
WE ARE REYNOLDS AMERICAN—A member of the BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO GROUP
At Reynolds American, we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at REYNOLDS AMERICAN.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 British American Tobacco employees across more than 180 markets
- Reynolds American certified as Great Place to Work
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies