Part-Time Event Associate, Event Operations
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety & security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
Part Time Event Associate, Event Operations
This position will report to the Manager of Event Staffing & Training, and at events will report to the Event Manager and/or the Area Lead(s). This position is responsible for providing on-site operational support and volunteer management for NYRR weekly events including the TCS New York City Marathon, United Airlines New York City Half, and Popular Brooklyn Half. NYRR races are held most weekends throughout the year.
Major responsibilities include:
- Assist NYRR Event Managers and staff with the build-out of the event start, finish, course, and festival areas at weekly races
- Assist with managing volunteers at races and events. Must be comfortable working with new and diverse groups of people on a regular basis
- Excellent customer service approach and positive attitude are a must
- Ability to comprehend logistics documents to build out the event site
- Responsible for crowd control and public interaction. Must be very vocal, outgoing, and willing to direct volunteers, participants and the general public
- Responsible for dealing with event participants, spectators, staff, and the general public in a courteous, professional manner that represents NYRR well at all times
- Responsible for reporting NYRR rule violations, and medical emergencies at events
- This is a weekend position with long hours (typically from 4am – 1pm; may vary based on event and/or position) and the ability to be on your feet, outside in the elements for the duration of the shift is a must
- Event experience preferred, but not required, preferably in the sports and/or entertainment industries, including strong logistical/operational background.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team-oriented environment. Must be proactive, responsible, attentive, hardworking and professionally courteous to all runners, spectators and pedestrians
- Must be able to lift at least 25 pounds of equipment
Hourly Rate: $22.00