Intern, Capital Projects
This purpose of this position is to learn the fundamentals of capital project management and lead a portion of a business process improvement project within the capital projects group.
Project Management & Business Process Improvement:
- Collaborate with others to build an understanding of current state and define a future state vision
- Create clear team objectives and develop a project plan with support and guidance from an experienced project manager
- Utilize continuous improvement/innovation techniques and tools to transform a business process
- Lead a cross functional team to deliver the process improvement(s) and quantify impact
- Ensure job files are stored per company policy
- Ensure management of change procedures are followed and documented
- Maintain project documents and electronic document control for easy electronic archival and retrieval
- Organize and lead team and project related meetings
- Assign action items during meetings and hold parties accountable through persistent communication
- Communicate progress to stakeholders and be able to present to larger groups
- Help bridge between the plant, corporate offices, and contractors
- Develop a capstone presentation to deliver to senior leaders at the end of the internship
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be available for daily work and overtime as required
- Be resourceful
- Communicate effectively with customers and co-workers (oral and written)
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner – summarizing complex topics and agendas into manageable communications
- Demonstrate attention to detail
- Work independently or in a team as needed
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet deadlines
- Possess the following competencies: Decision Making, Analytical Problem Solving, Cooperative Teamwork, and Initiative.
- Must have/maintain current driver’s license and meet REG insurance guidelines to operate corporate vehicles
- Some travel may be required.
Pursuing a bachelor’s degree – Engineering or other degree with business process improvement experience
Relevant courses, club participation, and/or previous internship experience related to business process improvement preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership, organization, and creative problem solving skills
- Basic financial analysis abilities
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word)
Special skills or knowledge preferred:
- Experience with continuous improvement tools such as DMAIC, Six Sigma, Lean, etc.