Internship - Process and Plant Performance Engineering
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
The Geysers is the largest complex of geothermal power plants in the world. Calpine is the largest geothermal power producer in the US and one of the most reliable energy sources in California accounting for approximately one fifth of the green power produced in California. See www.geysers.com for more information regarding Calpine.
Assisting the Geysers Power Plant Process Engineering & Performance Management team with ongoing monitoring, evaluating, and optimizing 1) corrosion mitigation and steam scrubbing systems to achieve required steam purity, 2) plant performance (efficiency and total output), and 3) other projects that improve reliability.
This will be done by gaining hands-on experience in engineering projects, e.g.
- Measurement of steam enthalpy with a calorimeter for steam scrubbing / moisture removal efficiency testing and optimization of desuperheat systems. Development of automated reports for pipeline mass balances to track transport and removal of steam impurities for monitoring effectiveness of corrosion mitigation at varying steam flows.
- Power plant performance testing, evaluation of test data, and identification and recommendation of opportunities for cycle optimization and equipment upgrades.
- Analysis of steam gathering pipeline system and pressure protection in accordance with ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code, and silencer sizing and selection.
- Model and recommend opportunities for improvement of condensate gathering and reinjection pipeline system, including replacement pump specification.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Candidate should have completed coursework in their junior year in engineering science, including chemical or mechanical engineering coursework in Fluid Flow and Thermodynamics at an accredited college or university.
Candidate will ideally be familiar with programming VBA in Excel as well as able to quickly learn the PIPE-FLO and Gate Cycle power plant performance modeling software packages.
The candidate should also be willing to work as a team with good writing and communication skills. Intern must hold a valid driver’s license, and have the ability to drive mountainous, winding, narrow roads. Work environment includes an office setting as well as outdoors in an industrial/power plant setting.
Additional Job Requirements:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Strong work ethic and initiative
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good academic standing
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. now and in the future for any company
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Must be able to work harmoniously with others.
This job will be based at The Geysers power plant near Middletown, California.
Work schedule is 4X10 (Monday – Thursday)
Calpine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Additional Calpine Information
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here