Paraprofessional I Integrated Services - Blevins Middle School
Information specific to this position:
Pay Range: Pay Range: $17.25 - $19.32 (min – 12% above min)/hr based on qualifications and experience*
Work calendar days: 186 days
Duration of position: Ongoing
Benefits include: Health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, PERA retirement, paid time off, short and long term disability, as well as other optional benefit elections.
SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the General Classroom or Special Education Teacher by providing instructional and physical support for students with significant support needs so that they may fully participate in class activities. Assist students with personal care, social skills and/or self-awareness. Assist teacher with classroom materials and clerical skills and monitor students.
Description of Job Tasks
1. Assist the General Classroom or Special Education Teacher with implementing instruction and reinforcing learning skills in individual or small groups, adapting curriculum to individual student needs, monitoring and enforcing acceptable social and physical behavior, implementing daily and long range lessons and activities to meet Individual Education Plans (IEP), behavior plans, and/or health care plans. Assist with implementing specialized occupational therapy and physical therapy programs and activities.
2. Assist students with personal care, social skills and/or self-awareness and in getting to and from bus stops, restrooms, lunchrooms, etc. Assist students with personal health and hygiene, including spoon feeding, tube feeding, toileting, catherization, and diapering. Lift, transfer, or push students in wheelchairs. Use alternative language techniques such as sign language or voice activated computer systems and adapt classroom materials for use by a student with a hearing or vision disability as needed.
3. Assist teacher in preparing materials, administering tests, grading, taking attendance, completing paperwork, maintaining files, evaluating and recording student achievement and maintaining student records.
4. Monitor students in classroom and during breaks, lunch, recess, time outs, on field trips, getting on and off the bus, etc. Reinforce school-wide discipline procedures.
5. Assist Teacher and/or administration with special projects.
6. Attend work and arrive in a timely manner.
7. Attend appropriate in-services, building meetings, training, IEP meetings, parent conferences and/or school functions.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• One year of related experience
• Experience working with special needs students preferred
• Equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
• Criminal background check required for hire
• Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) required within 3 months of hire
• Special Education Paraprofessional Academy classes (5 in first 2 years of hire)
Questions regarding this posting can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org