Internship Geothermal Production Analytics
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Calpine’s Geothermal Production Analysis group develops views of production trends for the world’s largest operating geothermal field, The Geysers in Northern California. Relying heavily on input from the broader Geysers operations team, the production analysis group builds models to project output from the existing field, analyze the impacts of long-term capital investment options, and optimize near-term production decisions.
Our internship provides opportunities to learn and apply engineering principles. The intern will be primarily responsible for:
- Up scaling geologic models for dynamic geothermal fluid flow analysis using a numerical simulator
- Utilizing data-management systems to analyze production data and build reservoir models
- Creating and presenting final analysis to upper management
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include some or all of the following:
The Production Engineer Intern will provide assistance to the Geothermal Production Analysis team in analyzing production and injection data, developing data-management improvement recommendations, using advanced data mining, pattern recognition and machine learning to reservoir modeling, history matching and production optimization, conducting reservoir and steam gathering system performance evaluations for optimum field development and building simulation models for field performance studies.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Candidate should have Junior standing or above working toward a Bachelor's degree or higher in Petroleum, Chemical, Mechanical, Civil, Electrical Engineering and other engineering or earth-sciences degrees are considered. Qualified candidate must be a student at an accredited college or university during duration of internship.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future for any company
- Analytical/technical skills with a practical approach to problem solving
- Familiar with data-management systems
- Familiar with GIS applications
- Familiar with geological and reservoir engineering applications (e.g. Leapfrog Geothermal, GOCAD/SKUA, Petrel, Eclipse, VIP, Tetrad, STAR, TOUGH2, etc)
- Experience in programming languages (e.g. Fortran, C\C++, Python, etc).
- Good verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
Additional Calpine Information
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)