Data Science & Analytics Internships - Spring 2023, Virtual
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
To meet students where they are, we offer both virtual and in-person internship opportunities for the Spring 2023 semester, and all internships will be part-time (approximately 16-24 hours per week). Because we know it can be challenging to balance coursework and internship commitments, we are now offering interns paid time off for mental health, school exams, and personal holidays.
Spring 2023 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: October 7, 2022, at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible – don't delay!
- Program Dates: January 17 – April 21, 2023
- Time Commitment: 16-24 hours per week. Exact schedule to be determined based on business need. We will do our best to accommodate course schedules.
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
Our Data Science and Analytics internships are designed to provide interns with real-world experience working on projects in a typical Data Science or Analytics environment, using state-of-the-art tools and technologies, while gaining broad exposure to the media industry. Interns will acquire specific responsibilities, goals, and timelines aligned with the teams they are embedded in. We have a world-class team of smart, hungry and fearless professionals who are working at the cutting edge of technology and science at the epicenter of content, technology and culture.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
TV & Streaming Data Science: This group focuses primarily on decision science analyses to support and inform strategy and key business decisions and building advanced data products to help enable more data-enhanced decision support. Interns will assist with research & development to inform new methodologies. Interns will also contribute to the development of tools and data pipelines, as well as implement predictive and inferential statistical and/or machine learning models. The Data Science intern will be exposed to exciting new challenges and opportunities arising from today’s swiftly changing media landscape. They will work on projects designed to address strategic business questions around how to create, market, and distribute media content. In the process, they will receive hands-on experience with real-world datasets, use popular Data Science technologies, and apply statistical and machine learning techniques to develop insights and inform on business strategies.
Peacock Data Science: This team is focused on building machine learning and statistical models to understand and predict content value and performance, customer journey and lifetime value, and developing recommendation systems. Interns will explore and transform data (e.g., cleansing, discretization, imputation, selection, generalization) to create high quality features for the modeling process. Interns develop a close partnership with the team to build real-time and automated batch pipelines for productizing data science solutions. Gain experience in using big data, relational and non-relational data sources to access data at the appropriate level of granularity for the needs of specific analytical projects.
Peacock Content Analytics & Editorial: This internship will leverage user data to help customers enjoy our app. The digital delivery of television can be complex and confusing to some viewers. Thus, this team of smart, hungry and fearless professionals work at the epicenter of content, technology and culture. Interns are a part of this exciting initiative by working with Business Intelligence tam and collaborating across various teams within Peacock to analyze content performance and determine key drivers for our users. Complete end-to-end business intelligence solution so the team can make data driven decisions and drive actionable recommendations. Analyze and mine large datasets to extract useful business insights. Develop presentations on analysis and insights for business stakeholders.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the length of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be working from a location within the United States during all hours worked.
- Working knowledge of at least two of the following programming languages: R, Python, Julia, Scala or similar.
- Advanced Excel (VLOOKUP, INDEX-MATCH, Pivot Tables).
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Strong interpersonal skills; must be able to work effectively as part of a project team and foster team cooperation.
- Commitment to building an inclusive work environment.
- Previous experience in Digital Entertainment, Direct to Consumer, or Digital Marketing industries is preferred.
- Prior experience with Machine Learning and/or statistical modeling
- Advanced working knowledge of statistics and its applications for inferential data analysis
- Familiarity with Spark, Databricks and/or AWS
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Hands on experience analyzing and mining large datasets in SQL. Advanced SQL skills preferred
- Applied experience with ML, predictive modeling, classification models, and clustering is a plus
- Experience with BI visualization tools such as Domo, Tableau, Looker, or MicroStrategy
- Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated.
- Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.